Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got kicked out for.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yup, I got kicked out of my band for the way I dress.

It's almost as ridiculous as being "too good" (Falsehood Bass :p)

2. My band kicked out their former bassist for being too good. Now they have me instead. :D

I suck so I can stay. :)

How did you dress anyway ?

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Usually khakis, a black band t-shirt, and black shoes.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just idle curiosity...exactly what did your fellow band members want you to wear?

5. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    "im not gonna doo what everyone thinks im gonna do which is FLIP OUT...............what i wanna know is...who's commin with me!"

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    They wanted me to wear jeans, tight black shirt, and "chucks", whatever the hell those are

I said I'd wear it for gigs, but I guess it wasn't enough

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Is that really much of a difference from what you wear now? Seriously that's a bunch of crap if they care what you wear. Obviously you weren't real good friends with these guys.

8. Chucks are Converse Chuck Taylors. They're the old school basketball shoe.

9. You are better off without them. If they worry about the clothes they wear, I am scared to think about the emphasis they put on their music. Chuck taylors are too narrow for my feet. I like Pumas better:cool: !

jtbp

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I once was invited shortly after getting out of the navy to audition for a band whose albums I had owned back in high school.

I thought this was verrrry cool. Until I got there, I was waiting in a line with several other guys and being all excited just to be there, when a guy comes up, tells me he is one of the management team ( they needed a TEAM?) for the band and that I could leave because they were going for a 'look' and I didn't have it. I am a big guy now and I was big then too. Not fat then, just big and solid with thinning hair. The guy they hired was skinny with eighteen pounds of hair and a Warwick 6-string he could almost play.

I went home and got out all their albums and broke them into tiny pieces with a pair of vice grips. It took several years before I could hear their songs without getting all pissed off. But in the end I guess it was just as well. They took a MAJOR nose dive career-wise right after the event I just described.

If they are even still together they are probably playing car-wash grand openings. If anybody cares the band in question was Foghat.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hey, I usually wear what your old band wants you to wear - I must be perfect for them!

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A few years ago when I was between bands I was looking at the postings up at a local music store. One of them was looking for a bass player and two guitar players. It said: "must have long hair"...

Needless to say, I didn't give them a call (and I had long hair at the time).

13. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Bah...that's dumb.

If I wanna wear a skirt on stage, I'm gonna do it and my bandmates can kiss my big white behind:p

Sounds like your band was going for an indie/punk LOOK, which I can't even BEGIN to describe how lame that is. You're better off; period.

Peace.

Alex

14. "Bass player wanted. Experience not necessary. Must own full PA rig and large van."

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, I've dealt with the same kind of crap for years; LOVE your playing, best we've ever heard. But you don't LOOK good enough to play with us!! Maybe if you lost some weight? Grew your hair? Smoked weed, or got drunk??
    Well, none of the people, at least to my knowledge, who said these awful things, never got anywhere.
    What, so if you don't dress a certain way away from the band, thats a problem?? To hell with them I say. What I do outside of my gigs is MY business(as long as it doesn;'t interfere with the music-like, I'm not arrested for murder, or something like that.)
    Seriously though; in a case like that, where the look is more important than the music, you're better off without them.
    You know, that being "too good" doesn't make sense either. If you really want your band to get somewhere, don't you want to have the best people possible?
    Well, you're better off IMHO. Now, go find some decent people to work with; they're out there. You just have to find them.
    Good luck, and sorry you had such a crappy experience with those idiots.

16. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Well I can see the problem except Im the other way around, I wear black shirts jeans and chucks(not all the time) but I dont consider it indie "Punk"(Punk is no longer a word with meaning to me) I consider it the type of clothing I like, the only thing is most of the people around me try to act like its the coolest thing to wear tight pants and chucks I guess thats why I cant stand people in local "Punk" bands anymore. Its funny how some people get so militant about who wears what in a band and yet the whole idea of a band and music in general is creative freedom no matter what you wear.

17. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    WildBill,
    Excellent points. I understand what you mean by 'punk' having no meaning anymore. It's a sad thing really.

Way I see it, I'm gonna keep playing my music with my friends the way WE want to, dress the way WE want to, and I don't care if someone wants to call it punk, or emo, or WHATEVER...this is the way I grew up, the music I grew up on and it's what I wanna play, so BAH to anyone that wants to pigeonhole me and my band.:p

Man, that HAS to be one of the biggest run on sentences EVER.

Alex<---Not givin' a **** bout opinions.

18. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    I have a guy that's a cross dresser in a heavy metal band, although that was some time ago, before he started playing guitar, he still does it every now and then though.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    dude, you should show up at practice wearing abercrombie head to toe like the Dave Matthews faithful just to piss them off.