Got me a '72 P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebass!, Feb 1, 2006.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Found it local. It's natural alder/tort/ rosewood. The seller says it's all original but he isn't the original owner. I'm a little skeptical but for only $350 I couldn't pass it up. It plays well but looks rough, which is how I like them. It's missing one knob, both covers and the finger rest. I think it might have been refinished because it's alder and because the finish isn't holding up very well. I had a '73 natural that was ash and had a very high gloss. This one is pretty ragged. After I clean it up a little I'll put some pictures on here. I'm trying to decide whether to hold on to it or not because I have another P that sounds similar. For now can anyone help me answer these questions?
    1) How do I date it? The serial number is 324xxx. There is no date in the neck pocket. J.Torres stamped his name in there instead.
    2) How do I tell if it's been refinished?
    3) Where do I find a deal like this on a jazz bass?!
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Dont know how to tell you the way to get a similar deal on a jazz. If you do discover how, email me immediately. LOL

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I might be interested if it's not something you want to hang on to.
  4. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    show some pics and we will help you out.
  5. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Yes that was tongue in cheek. Sorry I left out the smiley. Actually my first jazz bass was a '65 refinish that someone sold me cheap back in '82 so I've already used up my luck on those. And I traded it off :bawl:
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

LOL. Cool find. Good luck

7. From the
    Fender site:

L50,000s up to L90,000s 1965
    100,000s 1965
    100,000s to 200,000s 1966 to 1967
    200,000s 1968
    200,000s to 300,000s 1969 to 1970
    300,000s 1971 to 1972
    300,000s to 500,000s 1973
    400,000s to 500,000s 1974 to 1975
    500,000s to 700,000s 1976

Looks like a '72 or '73 to me. Hope this helps
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Take off the pickguard and see if there is color overspray in the route ... that'll give you a hint at what the original finish was.

Nice score! I love '70s fenders.
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I really want a 70's P...awesome score.

Post some pics.
  10. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If it hasn't been refinished, don't refinish it if you care at all about the resale value. A beat fender with paint that is worn all of the way off is worth more than one that is restored and refinished.

Either way, at $350, you'll still be able to turn that bass for a profit, but if you want max return, leave the origional finish.

If it already has been refinished, it is a hard call. Depending on when the refin was done, some seem to climb back up in value (early refins). If it was refin'd in the last decade or so, then it can't hurt.
  11. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'll echo what everyone else here has said - post some pics and we'll be able to give you a better idea of what the bass's story is :)
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd be happy to identify the bass more precisely.

Just send it to me.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have 2 '72 P's, one fretless and one fretted. I really like them both. Hope you like yours, they're nice basses...
  14. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks to Intune - looks like the seller was right about it being a '72!

Thanks to Pickles - I 'll check for underspray. The pickguard is a bit iffy with a bent jack and a couple missing or replaced screws so this may require some care.

Thanks to Momo - It has some kind of a clear finish but it is worn down to the wood in several places. I'm guessing it's an early refinish. There's also a not-so-subtle line where the two piece body was glued together, mostly under the pickguard. Did they make any natural alder bodies? I've seen only ash and the grain on this one is less than spectacular. It's largely obscured by what's left of the yellowed finish.

I'll get some pictures up this weekend.

BTW - I spent several hours with it last night and I like it better than my '97 which is a pretty special bass in itself. I bought it thinking I'd resell it but I may have to keep it.
  15. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Chef - Nice!! I like the bass and the year. It makes me think of the great music (and cars) that were produced in that era.