1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got me a Jazz, what should be my next bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by straightblues, Mar 18, 2013.

1. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    I got a Jazz bass. It is a lot of fun and I really like the tone. I play blues and a little classic rock. Thinking about getting a second bass. I am into old school tones. I am thinking a Precision would be too close to the Jazz so I am not thinking P. But maybe I am wrong. (Also, I want to keep it in $300 - $700 range price wise.)

So what should I be looking at?

2. Precision. Trust me. But if you're really adamantly against P's, check out a G&L. I love my L2000 tribute and you can get one for 300-400 used.

3. you're wrong, second the precision suggestion

4. P-Bass. I resisted for a long time. Now, it's all I really want. Do yourself a favour, don't fight it.

5. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Precision. When you have a Jazz and a P, you will find use for both. Especially for the influences you list

6. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    P-Bass. All the way.

7. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Oh and put some flats on the P, with that and your Jazz, you'll be in classic rock & blues heaven

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I bought the P first, then got a J.

Get a P.

Flats on the P.

Rounds on the J.

(Make them both Fender American Deluxe, and you're pretty much covered.)

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I was going to suggest a Precision or a Rickenbacker, but obviously this isn't what you want.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Fender Custom Shop "DUSTY HILL" Precision,...

or the PINO!!!:hyper:

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Well, I would second the Precision, but it appears that someone may have already said that.

So um... Yeah. Get a Precision. Then get a second one. Keeps flats on one, rounds on the other, and rounds on the Jazz.

12. For the kind of sounds you seem interested in, definitely a Precision. Trust me, the sound is not all that close to a Jazz's. Similar, but noticeably different.

13. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    Another vote for the precision. Mexi p with flats would fit right into your price range and would be quite different from the jazz.

14. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    Also, I think that the Precision is quite a bit different sounding than a jazz.

15. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    Wow, overwhelming responses guys. I guess I need to start looking at a Precision then!

16. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Did you get a Precision bass yet? Because you really need one. And I'd put flats on the jazz and rounds on the precision. Unless I did it the other way around. :)

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There are some awesome Ps in the TB classifieds right now

18. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    haha everyone said precision, even though you said you didn't want one. trust them, a p-bass sounds very different from a j-bass. but beyond that, it's not your only option, someone suggested a G&L Tribute bass and those are very nice basses and somewhat different from both

19. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    G&L Tribute SB-2.........around $550 new.

20. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    I'm in the same boat. I was surprised not to see sterling or stingray mentioned. Would all of you vote fender p ahead of the eb's? I just seem to read a lot about them on this forum