1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got me a Muff finally

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spectrum, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. For years I've used a Darkglass b3k for dirt, or, when using Rick-o-Sound, just used the tube head on the treble pickup. I love that grumbly, trebly bark you hear from players like Geddy, Chris Squire, Paul D'Amour, etc. So I've got that sound covered.

But...what about that tubey, fuzzy, pillowy bass sound? Do I really need that?

Yes.

Can I get it with my b3k and/or tube head?

Yes, kind of, but I have to fiddle with the knobs on everything to reconfigure for this sound, which is not practical between songs.

And lately, some of the tunes I'm helping my band write are built around this fuzzy, thicker sound. So I got myself an EHX Bass Big Muff Pi a couple of weeks ago. Jammed, rehearsed, and gigged with it.

I have to say I love this thing! It brings a whole new world of tones to my toolkit, and with the amp cranked even slightly it can rattle the windows with those lows. And all that gain, yummy!

So it goes on my board along with the b3k, so I have both options. And of course using them both in tandem creates a vortex of aggressive sound, which may or may not be useful.

For reference, this is the music I was listening to when I decided I have to be able to cop this tone, kicks in around 25 seconds in. Also, the song that starts at 4:50 is soooo good! This whole album has this really tubey, thick bass tone to it:

cataract and zapped777 like this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Ugh this music is surprisingly good! Thanks for sharing. I had a B3K for a while and it could be sorta tubey if I set it just so, but I mainly used that pedal as an all out high gain monster.
    Honestly if you’re pushing a tube head, just dime the gain and use the master volume as a master volume- get those tubes hot and your tone’ll get warm like this.
    I just picked up a Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian and it’s arguably the best Muff I’ve ever played through, nails that subtle warm fuzz and can get crazy high gain as well.

Spectrum likes this.
  3. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    That band sounds like a drugged up version of Karate. I say this as a compliment. Congrats on the pedal!

zapped777, Spectrum and cataract like this.
  4. Bless the internet that's good stuff right there.

2010P likes this.
  5. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Karate quickly becomes an addiction. Be careful. BTW, just in case you wonder how the guitarist gets that amazing distortion, it's an original Klon.

zapped777 and Spectrum like this.