1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got me a Muff!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TJBass, Aug 8, 2007.

1. I traded a dunlop crybaby wah (gtar version) for a green sovtek big muff pi. I have seen on the search, members discussing the russian and sovtek, mine says made in russia on it so I am assuming that when you discuss a russian muff you mean the sovtek.

Anyway, I noticed that you cannot actually dial out the distortion. Is this common on the sovteks as I have played a few usa muffs and you could almost dial out to a clean signal.

With this one the distortion is very distinguishable with the distortion knob fully counter clockwise.

Also, for those of you with this version, what are your favorite settings?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Usually, "Sovtek" is a reference to the old green ones of the early 1990s (made during the time in which Sovtek was putting their label on them), while "Russian" refers to the current black ones (which don't say "Sovtek" on them). There are a few in different colors that pre-date the green ones, too, and they're also Sovtek (one example is the "Civil War" version).

Yours is a Sovtek.

I've never used a Big Muff where you could actually get a clean signal, or anything close to it. Super-mild fuzz, yes, but somewhat clean? Not really...

Anyhow... [/rant] :D

3. very cool! So based on your description it seems to be operating normally then. As you described it, turned down it does seem like a super mild fuzz tone.

Well thats good, atleast I know it seems to be a fair trade.

Thanks for the info....

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Why would you want a Big Muff to be clean anyway? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using a fuzz pedal?

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Show us pics of your muff

:smug:

6. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    never gets old. :p

7. duba

duba

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    See for yourself:

[​IMG]

This, and the same preset with the tone at 3 O'clock

8. +1

i buy FX pedals to COLOR my sound.

9. Holy Bejesus!! :eek: The volume on my Sovtek muff is loud....REAL LOUD... If I had mine turned up that much, it could quite possibly end the world. Needless to say, for the sake of mankind, I leave it down a touch.

Other than that, they are roughly my settings too (Roll the distortion back a bit too for me) :)

10. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Do any of you guys know where I could get 1 (or more) replacement knob for a green Big Muff Pi? Just like the knobs in the photos. Thanks.

OP, If you traded the crybaby even-up for the Green Muff, I think you got a really good deal.

Jeff

11. +10000000..............

I literally said "Holy S***!" when I saw that pic. Sovtek Big Muffs in that condition go for $200+ on ebay!

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp

You buy fx to COLOR your board :D

13. Also worthwhile mentioning that aside from the fact that a lot of the green muffs sound different to each other in their own unique way, there are actually a couple of definate different green versions. Makes it kinda hard to share settings...

The one pictured in this thread is one of the 'newer' green muffs. They are in a (sometimes) smaller housing, but if you have nothing to reference against, they also have two screws on the top surface area that are a give away. There are some of these later green ones and some earlier black ones with the same internals. Its a transition period model. You also see weird things like black muffs with the big switch or round knobs, instead of the chicken style etc...

14. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    People will also require different settings depending on what bass they use, what amp they use, and how they eq their amp.

15. I always over look the obvious :meh:

There is most definately that too !

16. well the pic above looks just like mine, so I don't know if I got a good deal or a great deal! Ofcourse when I saw them on ebay they were not going for $200.

I've been playing around with it and like the fuzz tone of it. I sure as hell like this better than the wah I traded for it!!!

17. here it is! Its a little dirty and has some surface rust on the edges but otherwise in perfect working order as far as I know....