Got Me A New Bass.. wo0oo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Hey there people, just been out and after months and month of playing in guitar shops i went for a Fender Marcus Miller IV, for me it was well balance and the neck profile was great, not to fat not to slim, i also dig the looks, very cool and yes the pickup cover i was unsure of at first but i think i might leave it on and do purcusion work on it like Marcus does hehe..

however I intend of making a few alterations to my bass to make it similar to my GB IV (how i want another but alas £££). the alterations im thinkin of doin are

1. Changing the Reverse Tuners to Hipshot Light Open Backs

2. Changing the BassAss bridge for a Schnella one (maybe).. ??...

3. Installing a new Pre-amp into it... this is my main question

Ive read lots on the net about re-wireing the Marcus Preamp to give it more punch but, i am very dubious about doin this. Im thinkin about buying a Sadowsky onboard Pre-amp to replace the one in there... Has anyone had experience in doin this, in Fenders/Marcus IV's or indeed any other bass, would an alternative routing hole need to be placed in the back?... or would it make more sense to buy an outboard box??...

Any other usefull alterations that might be of some benifit would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks you guys !!!...

Peace.. :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. As an alternative to the Sadowsky you should really consider a Nathan East preamp that is specially designed for the Marcus Miller. These are available through Vintage Bass Trading Company. Steve Barr is the owner and a good guy to deal with. Price is right too!

You can get there here:

Hope this helps
  4. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Hambone did you perhaps mean the John East preamp or more poularly the J-Retro? By the way I love your sig model bass. Congrats on your MM Jazz purchase.;)