Got me A Sei :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thonk, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    Well after many years of playing mid/high end production basses(spectors,warwicks,ibanez,MM's,yammy ect ect ect) i decided that it was time to go for something a little more special so i set about working up some spec's for a SEI Bass

Id been a fan of martin's work for some years after seeing Sei's in publications and once at a music show(even though i never got chance to play one)

so i decided to go for a headless Flamboyant 4 string(yes i knew that they did'nt do many 4's)with a zebra wood/maple neck an ebony board and zebra body/wing's as i wanted something a little snappy ;)

i had'nt decided on pickup's or pre-amp thinking that i could disscuss these option with martin and the guys or maybe decide later on durning the 6/8 month build time......

so id ready'ed my deposit for the build and was composing an email to martin for a quote and to arrange a time to pop down and speak to them when my bro decide's to ask me to check ebay for a cheap guitar for him as he wanted to start playing again(he canned it in about 8 years ago after a few years of playing)

so i stop mid e-mail and go check ebay for guitars(he'ed decide he wanted a headless steinberger) on browseing for the keyword "headless" whats this i spy but a 4 string Sei Flamboyant!

on closer inspection of the ad i find this Sei is almost the same spec as i want built but at half of the cost of a custom build(in fact it was over spec as it had LED's side marker's which i would'nt have gone for)

needless to say i emailed the seller and after managing to quickly offloading some backup basses i had kicking around the house i arranged a private sale and went off to collect her

here are the spec's

Sei Headless Flamboyant 4 string
    5 piece maple/zebra wood ThruNeck
    LED side markers
    Ebony finger board
    Zerba wood/Body wings
    Buckeye Burl facing
    Bartolini pickups
    John East U Retro DELUXE Active/Passive 3 band EQ Preamp

Here's a few pic's for you guys to check out (warning not 56k friendly ;)

Needless to say she plays/sounds as good as she looks
    The only problem is now i got GAS for a fretless Sei 4 :bassist:
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    My goodness what a beautiful looking Sei!
    It does look a bit odd with two flat shaft toggle switches and one round, though.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good, good and all... but what's the width at the nut?
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    OUCH!!!! :eek:

5. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    The SEI Flams are among my favorite bass designs ever! Someday.... :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Simply spectacular. :eek: One of my all-time GAS basses is a Sei Flam five-string exactly like that.... it's right up there with the D.Huff Z5 and LeFay Pangton 5. Congratulations, I truly envy you! :)
  7. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I think it look great! The only thing I don't really like are the knobs, I think it would look better with smaller knobs like the ones on the MTDs. That's a really nice piece of buckeye anyway.

Please post some soundlcips if you get the chance!
  8. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    Nut width at the zero fret is 42mm

As for the weirdness of the toggle switch shafts im not to bothered as the diffrent shape's help my simple brain remember which ones the flip from active to passive ;)

Hi Ari i feel the same about the pots so im looking at getting some custom wooded carved (zerba body/buckeye topped)pots from

Thanx for all the Congrats guys :)

if i get chance i'll try and get some shots with the blue side marker LED's active next time my bro's around with his digi cam
  9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    VERY NICE!! That's definitely going onto my GAS list... thank you very much :spit: :D
  10. That is one awesome looking bass! Congrats! Now I want one. :spit:

Geoff :D
  11. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    Cool thanx for the tip :)
  12. Very cool, very beautiful, very drool worthy!
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Perfect! I can now offically endorse this bass as kicking a whole lot of ass.

I think the Flamboyant works much better as a headless shape. Thusly, you've got one heckuva bass.
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Very intense! I quite enjoy this design. Beautiful! it just me, or is that body hella-small? Great, great looking bass -- the burl looks amazing, especially the way the colour progresses from the bottom of the bass, all the way to the end of the upper horn.
  15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Nice bass... :D I played that one when it was at The Gallery a while ago, and can testify to its prowess... it was that bass that made me decide to go for the U-Retro preamp in my Sei singlecut 5. The buckeye top looks like it might be the companion piece to the top on my 5, the colour and grain is quite similar.

Good luck with it, it will serve you well! :)

Russ :bassist:
  16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Beautiful bass!

Congrats... :hyper: :bassist:
  17. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Congratulations! A Flamboyant 6 is somewhere in my future...

18. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Beautiful. Congratulations.
    The only bass that I'm <i>really</i> GASing after is a Sei Flamboyant 5 headless. So, right now I'm exceedingly jealous.
  19. He He :hyper:

Another Sei bass on TB. Welcome to the club. It looks fantastic.

One point, you say it is a 5 piece neck, looks like a 7 piece to me ;)

Look forward to a review of your first gig.

20. Looks f-ing awesome - well done sir! I talked to is it Dave (?) at the Gallery the other week and I know that he puts so much care and attention into his work that anyone ordering a Sei really gets a great instrument and value for money etc - I'm just sorry I don't like headless basses - aside from that you have an absolutely gorgeous instrument there - enjoy!!!