Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got me a used pbass...yeah baby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmpiwonka, Mar 29, 2003.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    this thing is pretty cool.
    sunburst with a maple neck(B neck) and finger board, a bit of fretwear, and i think everything is original except the pickguard.
    allright now help me trouble shoot this thing a little.
    i haven't hooked it up yet as i am waiting on my head to return form the repairshop, but the guy i got it from said the bass is real quiet, and he had to use a compression pedal to get a loud signal from it.
    i believe it is a 77-78 the serial number is S761***(can't remember the last three digits).
    so should i be expecting to need to replace the pickup's? if so what should i get? the repro fender '62 picks.
    should i replace pots/pans first, and are there any wiring diagrams that i could find on the 'net?
    ways to check pots/pans with an ohmmeter or something?
    wish i had a camera so i could post some pics.
    lets see pics of your p/j basses if you feel like it too.
    thanks

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    why dont you wait till you know IF you need something before you start asking WHAT,IMO the reason to get a vintage bass is the originallity and vintage SOUND, if all the electrical parts(pots,p-ups and wiring etc) are in good shape why bother changing them,it will only take away from the MOJO (i hate that word but it describes well)
    if it needs some new parts then thats a different story, describing the music,style and sound you like will better give us an idea to give you our opinions with(did i word that right?)try to keep it stock if you can,they are not classics for nothing! good luck with your new fender(you lucky basstard) LOL!
    ADAM:D :bassist: :D

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I am taking you up on that. Here is my modified MIM P. I love posting its pics.:)

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Cograts, I agree with Geezer. Don't get to worked up about it until you here it through your own rig first.

Mines a newer dlx... does that still count?;)[​IMG]

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    don't worry guys, i'm not replacing anything unless it doesn't work.
    if i do have to replace stuff it's getting as close to stock as i can get it.
    i got the bass and the thing looked bad, rusted strings, the g string saddle on the bridge was flipped over, cracks in the lacquer from abuse but i think it just adds to the character, can't wait till the lacquer actually starts wearing off from playing.
    i replaced the worn strings some fender roundwounds that came off my 01mimjazz and those will stay until i hear it through my rig, then i'll start tweaking it to perfection.
    the only reason i'm asking this already is because the guy that i got it from said there's something wrong with the electronics.
    this does sound sweet acoustic, and after some truss adjustments and such it plays real nice too.

anybody got an idea on what year it is, and how to read the date codes on the pots?

thanks again

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I didn't realize you were the same guy asking the dates question on the pickups topic (I posted there too).

Anyway, if it were me, the first thing I would do is measure the pickups with a multimeter, and then measure them with a guitar cable plugged in and the VOL knob wide open. I would think resis from 8k to 10k would be good for a vintage P-bass.