Got me some new strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rossowen_uk, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Roundwound

3 vote(s)
  2. Flatwound

3 vote(s)
  3. Groundwound

0 vote(s)
  4. Pressurewound

1 vote(s)
  1. Went looking for groundwound strings at local guitar shoppe - but they didnt have any! Instead I was offered a set of Rotosound 'pressurewound' strings, so i snapped em up.

These are the best things that have happened to my bassplaying since a) getting hold of a Jazz bass and b) discovering The Coral.

I get virtually no scratchy fingernoise, and my playing seems to have stepped up a level - these strings are fantastic... Except for one tiny detail:

green thread wound around the top and bottom ends of the strings!!! GREEN for goodness sake! my bass is coloured tobacco sunburst and it clashes horribly - the set up looks like it has been decorated by one of Santa's elves! Well, at least it sounds good, hehe

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I only buy strings without any cloth at the end, Pyramid Pyrasound stainless steel roundwounds gauged .035-.095.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Lakland Osborn flats use black silk. Black goes with everything. :)
  4. What is the purpose of the thread wrap anyway? to protect the bridge and nuts? does it affect the sound? :confused:
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I thought it was to keep the winding together, so the winding can stop before the end of the string (so that the end of the string that winds around the machine head can have no winding, so you can get a few turns round it) and the string unwind. Or something like that.