1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got My 1st Tube Amp, Wow What A Difference!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcoopcoyote, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Just sharing my joy. I had no idea how much I would love the warm, fuzzy, fat, juicy, sound of a fairly powerful all tube amp thru a single 15" cabinet.
    It's a poor mans tube rig ($150 used at GC + $30 1yr warranty), but it sounds awesome to me and even my band mates were pretty impressed at a gig this weekend.
    It's a 1980's Peavey Rock Master Vintage Tube Series 120 watt guitar head. It has 3 pre amp tubes and 4 output tubes (Sovtek I think?) with 2 big transformers. I'm playing it through an Emminence 15" speaker in a K&H cabinet (I've used this cabinet before with solid state gear and it sounded good, but nothing like this!)
    The head was designed for guitar and a 4 ohm load, but I contacted Peavey and they said it wouldn't harm anything to connect it to my 8 ohm cabinet (they said I would get more power from a 4 ohm load, but it's plenty loud with 8). I was even able to download the manual. The 2 features that seem to work great for my bass sound is "pump" (which is the overdrive) and "Smooth" (which cuts some of the highs)
    My usual gigging rig with my rock/country/variety band is a 15" Hartke kickback beefed up with a bunch of gadgets like preamps, eq's, compressors, modelers, etc. With all that and especially my Sansamp, I thought I had a pretty good growly sound with lots of punch, but adding the all tube amp thru this speaker cab really beefed up the mids with a wonderful warm fuzzy tone.
    For this gig I used both amps together, running a clean tight sound thru the Hartke, but mostly the warm fuzz from the Peavey and Emminence. I also wanted the Hartke on stage in case the tube amp gave me any problems (reliability is supposed to be very good on these old Peavey's). The only problems I ended up having was controlling the increased sensitivity and my urge to keep cranking it up. I ended up using more compressor/limiter than usual because I thought I was getting a little out of control, but both the sound man and lead guitarist later said it wasn't a problem and that it sounded great!
    I probably won't bring it to a lot of gig's, but I'm thrilled to know I've got it when I want it!
    Thanks for listening and sharing My Joy! :hyper:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tubes rock! Sounds like quite the happening little amp. At that price, you can't go wrong.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Sounds like you'll get your $150 worth of fun pretty quickly. :)