Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Acacia -- quick review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Oct 30, 2001.

1. I just got this bass delivered last nite, and only played it for about 25 minutes total between giving my kids baths, putting the kids to bed, etc (my 3-year-old son was unimpressed with this bass; he said it's "not very colorful").

My impression: holy cow! This bass is the closest I've ever found to a Swiss Army knife with strings. The j-retro preamp is astonishingly flexible, the LAne Poor pickups can only be described as transparent to the Nth degree, the wide string spacing is a slapper's dream, the 35" scale makes the B-string sound exactly like the other 4 (well, with a lower note, though, or I'd just be tuning the thing all wrong :D )

I've never owned a bass with sweepable mids before. . . this feature RULES. A Bass Player MAg review once cited the tone of Acacias as not having much bite, but with the low mids boosted, the bass is a snarling monster. . .

OK, gotta go for now, but wanted to check in and recommend this awe-inspiring bass. . .

I will admit I haven't always been aesthetically sold on the looks of Acacias, but I'm a convert now!

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I never liked the looks of those. I've never had a chance to try them either.
    Are you going to play it out anywhere?
    Through whom did you buy it?

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Looks sweet. What is the width at the nut and heel. The string spacing does look pretty wide. Lucky you.

4. Answers to questions posted above: I traded for the bass at basspalace.com. The bass is used, so the Lane Poors aren't evidence that Mr. Poor is back in business. The string spacing is the widest I've felt on any 5 I've owned, but I'll have to go home and measure it for an exact number. . .

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bob is excellent to work with.

7. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Congrats Jason, I played that bass and almost got it. It is a tone monster to be sure. I spoke with Matt Friedman (The Owner and Builder of Acacia Basses) and he has some nice info on it and is also a great guy. I can't say enough good about Mr. Freidman, that bass and The Bass Palace. Bob and Bernie at the Bass Palace have saved the gigging bass player from getting ripped off by the big music stores. Great guys, great basses and great deals. Try em and you won't deal with M@#s and all the other places that fleece the working musician. JMHO!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ugly as sin...but, hey, sure sounds like it can kick some sonic butt...now if only I could get my hands on one...

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Matt still has the opportunity to present a pretty bass!:D
    But I doubt he can improve woodworking and tone any more.
    Congratulations, sonnenblick!

10. About the aesthetic issue: I actually wrestled with this, because I traded a gorgeous Pedulla Thunderbolt 6 with a transparent red-over-flame-maple top to get the Acacia. The Pedulla was unquestionably the best-looking bass I've ever played. However, if I'm only going to have one really expensive bass, I had to go with the most versatile one, and while the Pedulla has an awesome, round-yet-throaty tone (and if I had a steady jazz or R&B gig, the Pedulla 6 would be all I'd ever need in the world), it wasn't the most flexible bass on the planet.

So let's hear it: in a trading situation, do you ultimately go for looks or tone?

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I prefer tone and a "player's bass" rather than a pretty bass. I just traded my mint condition Sterling for a Status 5 the Swami had lying around. The paint is a bit faded, there's a little belt buckle rash, and generally speaking, it's kind of an ugly bass but I plugged the thing in and it sang to me. I said "Gotta have it!" The MM was great but it was a bit too flashy for my tastes, not particularly versatile and the neck was just too damn narrow for me. The Status is all about versatility and if I knock it against the wall, I won't fall into a tantrum because I put a little ding in the body or paint scheme. Tone and playability first, looks second.