Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Aguilar Rack bag!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by apathetixx, Oct 3, 2003.

1. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    Its made by pro tec. its pretty nice. compliments my amp perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Nice :)

Do they make a 6-space version?

And if so, would you recommend it for use with a DB680 & DB728? Those bags look well made, but I'm concerned about whether the weight of the two (around 80lbs) would be too much for the bag (and me ;)) to handle?

I wish someone made rack bags with little casters on them like suitcases. :)

3. SKB roto racks come in versions with such wheels.

4. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    i dont think any bag would be good for 80lbs of equipment. i think this bag can barely hold mine monster. the guy at aguilar said that he recommened i not even use the shoulder strap cause of the db750's weight. but i like that bag better than the rack i had it in. its way easier to carry.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    What the ****? Those cock suckers at Aguilar told me they didn't make those anymore! Where did you get that?

Damn company getting WAY too big for their britches.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    but, tell us how you really feel about 'em.. :D

still, they said the same thing to me, too. interesting...

lockout,

if you're using something as huge as a 6 rack, i'd definitely look into the SKB that Davy refers too. the wheels make it waaaay easier to cart around, rather than lug such a beast over your shoulder.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've got a 6 space ProTec bag which houses my Furman/Korg tuner/Eden Navigator/PLX2402. Well under 80 pound and most likely under the weight of the 750. I never trust the handles and carry the setup like a regular rack case. It's much easier on the arms having the padding.

Ideally the bag works best for stuff like the Fafner + tuner or WT-800 + tuner....etc.

So Aguilar is just stenciling their logo on a ProTec bag and probably selling it at an inflated price? :eek:

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    [​IMG]
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8042093/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/544590/

^
    Are these the ones you guys are referring to? Are they good quality cases?

9. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    ya i didnt know it was a protec bag. i shouldve figured that they wouldnt make their Own bag and just over charge for one they probably buy in massive quantities. but o well. everything is overcharged in this world anyway....right?

10. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Not one of the bass companies or amp companies have part of their factory sewing away at cases or bags. Why would they? It's an accesory! Do you think Fodera makes their own gig bags? Lakland? Lull? Euphonic?
    Anybody? Would you really want a rack bag made by amp designers or luthiers?

You are making an assumption that you were overcharged. I spoke to Dave on the Aguilar 800 number. The deal is that they changed vendors for the bags, so they didn't have it for a while. The best constructed rack bags they could find were Protec. The retail price for the bag from Aguilar is $100, he said you can probably get it for less than that from a dealer. I went to the Pro tec site, they have what appears to be the same bag for $99, So you paid (maybe) a whole extra dollar. jeez.......

:rolleyes:

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    But for that dollar he could have made a 20 minute phone call, AND have a penny left over to take the bus home!

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey vanselus, you're on churchbass, arent you?

:D

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I used to be, but I got sick and tired of all the hypocricy, arrogance, and judgement. Churchbass started to become more about attitude than bass. That's when I stopped reading.

But I did have a great time at church this morning! Praise concert, the whole service was music :D

14. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    actually, now that i did research, i found the bag for $70. so 100 minus 70...hmm..Thats a WHOLE lot more than one dollar....jeez..... =)
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--PRT3

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lockout,

that's the one! pretty good protection, and very convenient. havent really seen the larger sizes, but my 3 rack i use for my DB359 is great. i put some styrofoam on the top and bottom for better support, and its perfect.

16. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Well, yes that a lower price. That's what's going to happen if you compare a retail price to a discounted dealer price!
    In my post I compared Aguilar's retail to Protec's retail price. I also stated that their customer service guy told me that it's usually discounted (like all gear) from their dealers.
    Apples to apples, and all that.

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    That link says the bag is 14" deep - but the 359 is 18 1/2" from front panel to fuse - hows that work?

and check out this in the description from Same Day Music:

"If you've found a nice rack, you want to keep it safe, don't you?"

uhh... yeah!

18. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    vanselus,
    i think jokerjkny is replying to lockout about the skb rolling racks for his db359, and im talking about my protec bag for my db750....

and billys73, nobody buys stuff (or a least i dont) at retail price, so what does comparing retail price matter? like you can compare suggested retail price for a product, but when it comes down to buying it, that wont really matter cause youll buy the same product from differnt places for different prices.