Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Aguilar S810 !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Mar 10, 2006.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    My S810 from MF got here yesterday. I had to buy it and ship it to my uncles' house in Tampa, since I live in Puerto Rico and they wouldn't ship the cab here with anything but USPS (70lbs limit). Well, after a week of my uncle having the big box as a piece of furniture he sent it and I got it yesterday.

Haven't had a chance to play it with my band and I've used it only in medium volume (to allow a little break-in). Comprared to my 2 GS112s and the GS410 I used to own, the cab is very midrange focused and clear. The GS112 are of course bottom heavey and have a clear sound but are mid-scooped to my ears. The GS410 was a very good all around cab but I agree with some TBers that it was agressive sounding and maybe a little mid shy too. First of all, the 810 is very compact (for an 810) and very easy to carry. I carried it with my guitarrist w/o any strain trough 2 flights of stairs in my house. My 6-space rack is 2 times the pain to carry.

Anyways, the cab seems really clear as all Aguilar gear IMO. t has a very foused bottom, not boomy as i find the GS112 to be when paired together. It is not IMO lacking in the bass department at all. Maybe for people who love 15s or earth-shattering bass wont love this 810. I have to try it more and with my band when I feel it's properly broken-in.

For now I cna say that I got an excellent 810 cab for less than $900 (shipping costs). And I think I'll love it more each day. Compared ot ht eonly other 810 I've used, the SVT810 the S810 is very clear. You can hear every note and dinamic that you're playing and it does sound more "musical" and "organic" if that makes any sense to you. The SVT810 is too bassy and muffled compared to this one. I think these 2 are oppsoite sides of the spectrum Ampeg is bass/punch and Aguilar is clear/presence with beautiful dinamics and very well-rounded. Also, don't miss the tweeter with the S810 guys.

I'll keep you posted for more input.
    Peace...

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hey, another S810 owner. I agree with you, it's very easy to move. Me and my 40 yr old back just got done loading up for tomorrow's SoCal Amp and Cab Tasting GTG and I singlehandedly got my S810 from my 2nd floor man cave down to the garage and onto my Honda Element (tilted it onto the tailgate and pushed it in from the bottom). It was a bigger pain to carry that danged SVT CL.

Anyway, yeah I agree with your assessment of the sound. Very strong mids presence and very nice when used with a Sansamp or a good tube pre. I sorta/kinda want a tad crisper highs, but I think that's just my SWR ears refusing to adapt.

S810 is the roXxorss11!!.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Where and when is this GTG!! I would love to go.....:eek:

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I take it this is a sealed cab and not ported? I'm going with the Ampeg SVT810E, due to GC issues I have going on, but I will be so glad to (hopefully) play without boominess.

Congrats.

Skel

5. Vanni

Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    I'm very happy for you!!!:)

Enjoy your new cab!!!

Vanni

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey guys:

Skel the S810 is rear-ported but it does have a very fast and punchy sound like sealed cabs. IMHO it is way better to my ears and tastes than the Ampeg810. The ampeg is just to muffled and not clear enough for what I like; I'm not saying it's not good by the way.

Vanni thanks for all the info and help you gave me. I sure love the cab.

Take care...