Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my 'altered' Geddy Lee back today!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderchicken, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Woo hoo! Finally got my Geddy Lee back from Wescott Guitars today. We did a bunch of modifications on it to customize it to what I wanted in looks and sound.

Check out the results at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~scripter/bass/

I wonder if Geddy would like to try it out??? ;)

P.S. Here's a tease...

[​IMG]

2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    A thing of beauty. Period. Nice job!

I have to be honest, though, and state that you lost me with the black tuners. I went for black Gotoh's on my black '78 Ric a few years back, and it just never really did it for me.

But this, of course, is pure nit-picking. I love the addition of the pearloid guard and the pickup cover.

Quite the electronics mod, too! So, how about a review of how it sounds?

Thanks for sharing.

3. i'm usually a big fan of the traditional chrome, but i think the black tuners go well with the black inlays.

4. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I like the mods a lot, especially the electronics. I'm sure it sounds great with the active pre.

The cosmetic changes are snazzy and not over done. With a lot of basses, you can really tell they've been modified, but these changes seem to fit right in to the bass.

Enjoy!

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey TC,

Great job! I have an ongoing love affair with a couple of Jazz Basses of my own with various mods. You did a great job with yours, just by its great looks and the stuff you put into it, I can tell it will sound Killer!

6. Terrific.

7. Even though I LOVE :) the way it looks, the sound was my main goal and I have to say the Seymour Duncans and active electronics are GREAT!

I play mainly finger style and I can get pretty deep bottom end with the neck pickup only and full bass boost and treble 'neutral.'

I'm just getting into slapping and tapping and with the bridge pickup, bass at 'neutral' and treble at half-boost it 'pops' with the best of them -- at least with my limited skills at this point in time.

I love Jazz basses (wish I had the '66 I started with when I started playing in '67!!!) and for about $900 (parts, labor and the original bass and case) I got exactly what I wanted!

I'll try to record some .mp3's this weekend when I take it for a 'test drive.'

Thanks again! :D

8. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Sweet Jebus!!!

::Wipes drool from chin::

I think I know what I'm going to be doing with to my Geddy soon. ;)

9. J.S.

J.S.

May 2, 2002
    Nice bass, look really cool :cool:

So I guess you have to remove the pickguard in order to change the battery? Might be a problem if the battery go flat in a gig...

Still a very cool bass, I'm having GAS

10. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Well done. You've took an already cool bass and made it look (and probably sound) even cooler. I love it!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!! Parsonally, I'd go with a black BAdAss, black pick-up cover & black control plate. I assesmled an all black MightyMite Jazz but with a rosewood fretboard & it looks great in all black & no it's not just an LA thing. ;):)

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very nice!

I can understand why you went with the black tuners. Normally, I'd say it looked 'off' with black tuners and chrome everywhere else, but the black knobs on the chrome plate, and the fact that the bass itself is black really makes it come together nicely.

I have a greatly modified 75 reissue that I wouldn't sell for the world. It's so great to have exactly what you want from a bass. Good job!

Oh, and also good job on recognizing that you needed to have someone else do the work for ya. ;) No sense to mess things up.

As far as the battery goes, I'd just make a habit of changing it out every three months, or so. That should eliminate any gig problems. I'm lucky enough to have a passive "uh-oh" switch with the JRetro. :)

13. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Gorgeous!

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Wow that is one of the nicest things I've seen in awhile... Can I have one?

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like that! Very Cool. :cool:

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Nice Bass Young Man.:cool:

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice bass - i dig the pickguard a lot.

the only thing i would've done would be to slap a j-retro in there instead of the preamp you used, but that's just because i'm itching to find a bass i can retro-ize. :D

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    john...i find it hard to believe that you are finding it hard to find a bass to retro-ize :D look around brotha! it does give you an excuse to commission another conklin, though...maybe a headless 7 string flying V? that would rock. :D

sweet jazz...

19. I like it!

:cool:

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, you'd think that, huh? i might put the u-retro (the generic version) in one of my basses.