1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got my Ashdown 300H yesterday...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 31, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Wow. I wasn't expecting much from this thing for $299, but it surprised me. I have been using a BBE Bmax-T into a Peavey 900 power amp, then into an Avatar 15" cab. But I realized it was kinda silly to have almost $1200 in a rig since I only really use it for rehearsals (my band uses in-ear monitors live). So I sold the BBE and Peavey and got the Ashdown, expecting a noticable drop in sound quality, but willing to live with it.

I was way off. This thing is just as warm as my tube BBE, but with slightly more attack. I had no idea a solid-state could sound so "old school". And it's d@mn loud for 300 watts. I just hope reliability doesn't become a problem. I've heard mixed things about Ashdown's quality control.

2. Congrats! This head had been on my list for a while. I have heard them around a little but not had a chance to get close enough to one yet to wring it out. Hope you don't mind a couple of questions.

Do you think it is versatile enough to also dial in a somewhat hi-fi tone? I love the old school, I own a tube Ampeg now, but sometimes I need a little bit more modern tone for some things.

How much does it actually weigh? I am afraid it may be too heavy for me. Spec sheets are notorious for being wrong about weight. The reason my old Ampeg is no longer too useful to me is that I am not able to move the thing. I'm not as strong nor as healthy as I used to be.

Peace,
    S

3. The MAG300 isn't heavy at all. Maybe 20lbs.
    And yeah, the sound is astonishingly good at that price. Mine is never want for more volume, either.
    I like the simplicity, too. As far as reliability, I've moved mine around quite a bit and the only thing I had a problem with was blown fuses, once. I emailed Ashdown asking where the fuses were and they offered to overnight me 2 fuses if I wasn't close to a Radio Shack.
    C7

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Mine is fairly light, somewhat under 20 lbs... I use it with a 1X12 as my 'small' rig, and cart the head to every gig as a backup to my tube amps... Nothing like knowing I have a good sounding spare to instill confidence :D

The only reliability issue that it has had was a cold solder joint coming undone, but this was more self induced... The head had taken several slams. Had it not fallen repeatedly, the solder joint probably would have held for the life of the amp... As it was, it was a 10 minute fix!

I think you'd be able to dial in a hi-fi tone... the EQ is fairly versatile, though I go for more of the 'old-school' tone that it dishes out in spades!

-robert

5. arjosy

arjosy

Jan 4, 2006
    New Joisey
    Congrats on the 300H. Mine arrived two weeks ago. I use it at our rehearsal space with an Ampeg 2X15 cab. Plenty of thump and "old school" sound if that's what you're looking for. When I gig with it, I'm going to use my Avatar B210 Delta and a custom 1x12 loaded with a Carvin 300 watt driver. From my experiments at home, the 300H with the 2X10 with the compression horn is plenty hi-fi.

I can't speak to the reliability since I've only had it two weeks. Size wise, it's actually a little longer than I thought. I expected something the size of the Behringer 3000 I traded up from, but it's at least 1/3 wider.

As far as power, I'm in a band with 2 guitars, and a keyboard player and so far, I've never had to take the 300H above about 2. (I keep threatening the two six-string variants to keep it down or I'll crush them both).

For $299, I don't think you could wrong with this. Though if I had to do it over again, I might go with the 300R and put it in a rack with a tuner and a power conditioner. Just a thought.

Best of luck.