Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Avatar 4x10...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 20, 2002.

1. i've had this cab since last friday, and so far i'm pretty happy. the construction is very good. it's built like a tank. steel handles, 300 watt Eminence Delta 10's, solid corners, 4 rear ports, etc... my only concern is that the horn level knob sticks out the back a little too much. might get bumped or broken.. no big deal though. i can get that adjusted. i'm running my Ampeg B4-R on bridged mode and the cab handles the power and my low B string fine. the cab is rated at 1200 watts rms and i'm pushing 1000 watts through the ampeg in bridged mode. i have no problem cutting through the Mesa/Marshall rigs my guitarists are playing through. i had a tech friend of mine check it out (he owns 2 Eden XLT 4x10's himself), and he couldn't believe the quality. we plugged his WT-800 into it and the cab sounded excellent. no mud, no farts, just smooth clear bass. i'm not sure how to describe this, but i'd say the cab has a killer "throw". it sounds awesome from across the room, as compared to standing right next to it. especially at higher volumes. the punch is very well defined. my friend and i A/B'd the Avatar and the Eden XLT, and yes of course the Eden sounded great, but we were both impressed by the punch and bottom of the Avatar. next to a boutique 4x10 the Avatar held up strong on it's own.. i'm gonna be gigging it this friday. i've owned SWR, Ampeg and Nemesis cabs, and for the price of the Avatar you can't beat the quality and sound. i'm SERIOUSLY considering getting the 2x10 or seeing if i could get a 4ohm 1x15 special ordered. dave currently doesn't offer these, but... you never know! thumbs up to Avatar.

2. I'm surprised, yet not incredibly surprised, at how much good feedback these cabs are getting. Maybe if I ever get a head and have some extra cash that I don't know what to do with, I'll buy one of these.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i just ordered an avatar for home practice, i have the 4x10 coming... i am really curious as to how these sound having owned some really high end gear. i am finding in my older age that it is not how much something costs that makes it a quality piece of gear. i have owned several p&j basses and the best jazz i've owned (that actually was a fender) was a mim! i bought it used for very littlle and it only just got replaced. i will also report on how it sounds compred to my previous gear... and no dave at avatar will not do 4 ohm 115's i already asked.

4. FNA4 - i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. i was a little skeptical myself, but now i'm convinced. i know it's only been a few days, but it's exceeded my expectations.. question is, will i be saying this in a year? i hope so.. it's a pretty rockin cab. i trust my friend's judgement too. he's been working on gear for about 10 years, and he's been through numerous cabs and gear himself. to see him diggin this cab when he's got 2 killer Eden XLT 4x10's made me even more happy about my purchase..:D

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    i couldn't agree more with you...it's solid...I have the same cab. still in shock that it cost so little.

6. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    first off congrats on the new toy im thinking of ordering a 2x10 soon. but what did u mean tat the back has 4 outputs? 1 for each speaker? if so how does that work? if they say a cab is rated at 8Ohms is that per speaker? sorry for all the ?'s

thanx
    pgk