Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Bongo - You should believe the hype!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Dec 30, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Yeah, yeah, I know -- this is the obligatory "show off my new bass" post. But I couldn't resist!

Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, peep this:

[​IMG]

Believe the hype -- Bongos ARE all that!

2. those things are uglier than sewer rats with a herpes ghonnorea and aids trifecta. but how do the pickups sound? i've always wanted to play one of those, but the GC that has one has it up by the cieling so i cant get it.

3. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I love there tone! Just can't afford one. :crying:

4. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    F'n funny dude. And true.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I like the look.

If I ever have a spare grand to spend I'll definately be getting one, but give me like 10 years for that...

6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Make them get it down for you. They sound awesome.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bongo dissing is lame :(

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Sorry, but when someone in another thread said something about toilet seat, it ruined my view of the bongo. :bag:

Edit: I want to try one though. Also to the designer's defense, sometimes when you really really have to go, and haven't found a restroom for quite some time, the sight of a toilet seat can look like a beautiful piece of art, and you almost wanna kiss it :D

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Look! It's a graphite toilet bowl. :D nah... I'm just kidding, I'm sure its great. Enjoy the new bass.

*edit.. aww, someone already made that comment. Doh!

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on your new bass! I'll bet those pickups are killer.

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Anyone else think the toilet analogies are getting old and tiresome? :rollno:

12. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

ALL Bongo-bashing is getting old and tiresome.

I have to say, though, they look much better in person.

13. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Figgy -

I don't even pay 'em any attention. :cool:

I will agree that the Bongo is unorthodox, but you have to do two things:

1) Look at one being played. When you see it horizontally against a (human) body, it assumes a sense of scale that you don't see on a stand.

2) Listen to one being played. If you haven't heard one, you are missing a treat and you don't "get it" yet. The tone is simply unbelieveable. More tones in one bass than I've hever heard of.

Like I said ... "Believe the hype."

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I played a couple just after they came out. If they made a 6 string version I'd buy it! like said, they sound KILLER! and you are right, worn they don't look quite so goofy.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bongos definitely look 1000x cooler being played than on a stand.
    [​IMG]

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Nope :ninja:

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I think it's a beautiful looking bass. I actually have never heard one, but it looks awesome to me.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I agree they do look better on a person than on a stand. Even still, I don't understand why MM decided to make a bass with such a radical shape that may alianate so many people from buying one.

19. Man, The Bongo is growing on me. When I first saw one, I was like "***, This **** looking bass before a two Pickup Stingray???".

Then I finally played one and was like "Ok, nice sounding bass, but Its still lloks like ****..."

Now, I'm heading to Guitar Center tomorrow and I'm try one again and see how I like it now (I'ts bee like a year since I have).

They do look better on a person then hanging on the wall.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i dont see why not, if you dont like bongos, get a stingray. If you dont like stingrays, get a sterling. if you dont like sterlings, get a bongo.

i think it was a nice addition.