Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my boss rc-20!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Jan 25, 2004.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd been doing a lot of research into this before buying.

My major requirements were:

a) Retention on power off
    b) multiple loops

My intentions are to use it:
    a) with my main band, to trigger drum loops and some synth parts we added in the studio.
    b) with my rock/jazz/funk/trance side-band for live looping of grooves so I can play some keys or percussion at the same time.

For the money, the Boss looked like the best option. I knew going in that it doesn't do stereo sound and that the record then immediately overdub is tricky to do. But I don't see me doing that much layering, although that might change over time.

So, I've only had limited home use so far but I'm very impressed. The sound quality is great, the storage capacity (5 minutes +) is excellent, and the loop tempo quantizing is a godsend. You can tap out your tempo and set your time sig. Then when you record, at the end of your recording it'll basically make sure that your loop has that number of beats in the last bar. So if you stop recording a hair too early when using it live, all is not lost. I haven't tried recording anything with mixed time sigs yet, I'm sure for that I'll have to basically say that each bar has one beat to avoid the quantizing adding some extra empty beats I don't need.

Anyway, that's my report so far. I probably won't be using it live for another month or so. But so far so good.

I've heard great things about the L6 DL-4 as well, but I don't think I've heard from anyone who's used both.

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i tried to use one at a local store... didn't work too well! it seems like something you'd have to play with for awhile to get the hang of it.

how is the reverse function?

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You rapidly discover how well your band keeps time when you use one of these. :D

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, it's not what I'd call super intuitive. But I got the hang of it within 30 minutes.

The reverse seems to work fine, but I haven't really had much use for it yet. I don't see it as something I'll use, but never say never.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm sure! You've had one of these for a while now, haven't you? How's it working out for you?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I love it. I use it all the time. It's perfect for when you want to start something before you've ended another thing. It's also perfect for triggering pre-recorded samples, sound effects, etc. The most fun I have with it is playing with just a drummer. I layer different parts, add effects via my looper. --No guitars in the way, good times!

7. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

The RC-20 is pretty wild...and, if you're not loud enough, the other musicians playing with you can get lost very easily :)

I ended up taking it back, not because it was bad, but because it gave me a thirst for more. I wanted to do layered loops on the fly, with the ability to fade old ones out and what not... so I traded it in, and worked a deal on an Echoplex...

...and of course, the only thing the echoplex doesn't do is store the loops... that I'll miss...

But for the money, the RC-20 is VERY hard to beat. Much more accurate than the SOS on the GT6's too!

8. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i just got my RC-20 about a half hour ago. this thing is really easy to use, although you have to be careful stomping the button again so you dont cut it off too early. i also keep forgetting to press the 'write' button when i want to save it, but i guess i'll get used to it.

9. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Yeah, as with any looping tool, timing is essential. Quantizing definitely makes it easier, but forces you to be even tighter.

The RC-20 was a little trickier than the echoplex, but the trick that I've found is to hit it when you want the first note of the loop to play (for example, you first not is an A in the loop, when you're ready to hear the A, press the switch). It seems simplistic, but I found that when I was pressing the button, I was doing it when my phrase was done, which wasn't always the best time for the next note to start.

Experiment and see what's best for you...

...and welcome to the world of looping!

10. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've been enjoying my RC-20 as well. I guess I've had it for about a month. It's really made it much easier to practice soloing. That's something that is very hard to do without an accompaniest.