Got my Clarus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Man, for only putting out 120 watts into 8 ohms, this puppy's loud. They weren't kidding when they called it the "High-Gain" input.

Anyhow, I'm hearing the natural tone of my bass and speaker cabinet, and I dig. For fingerstyle, it actually sounds better with my FBB in passive mode, whereas my trebly Fafner likes getting the low-mid-rich signal off of the NTBT. Slapping sounds killer in either mode.

More to come when I get back from the gym. Thanks to jimbass55 for prompt shipping and a smooth transaction (and an unbelievable price).
  2. This thing really kicks with electric; I guess it must not like Fenders or something, because it sure loves my FBB! Seriously. I've been using my FBB in active mode with it today and getting some killer sounds out of it. Clear, ballsy, even tone--what's not to love?
  3. Glad to hear the positive feedback! Now stop bragging or you will make me regret selling it. I really did love that little box. But I needed to get a better electric and there is the money issue.(What else is new) If you ever play Upright (you may already) you will really start to appreciate this amp. A really gets the natural tone of your instrument.

By the way this is not only limited to bass, try plugging and acoustic guitar into it. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy. Thanks again.
  4. i'm not too crazy about clarus.....i dont like them.....i dont know they just dont fit my style and that is sumthin to not love.......i feel i get what i need from my beautiful lovely so of the line loves me....and sounds so beautiful for's sooo sweet......oh yeah and fender isn't one of my favorite either.....really i havent found one that fits me yet....oh well who cares........ibanez and warwick and Ernie Ball all the way.....
    GothiCanS uNite!!! LOL

5. I doubt I'll be playing REALBASS anytime soon--I'm a PLANK man for life--but I'm sure that some of my DB-playing friends would love to give this sucker a whirl.

I'm going to let my band's guitarist, who is an excellent jazz and fusion player in addition to being an obscenely good rock and metal guy, try this out with his McCarty Hollowbody and see if he likes it. I'm betting he will.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

rule 1 -commas and periods, not ellipses are used for spaces between phrases

rule 2 - just because you don't like something doesn't make it "blow"

rule 3 - your sig should not be bigger than your post

thanks and welcome to talk bass ;)

and peter - consider this :mad: my look of intense jealousy. i want one of those so bad. and i even play REALBASS!!!
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Also, technically, an elipse is to state information and/or speech that is passed over or left out to serve the authors point. It means there is information that has been contracted or edited. The correct way to show a pause in the though process is -- Emily Dickenson is famous for her use of the dual hyphen/dash.

though I'm guilty of the elipse as a break in thought. Oh well, old habits die hard...

(see? :D)

8. I have nothing to say about the subject. I just thought that was hilarious. :D
  9. Y'know, they're not that expensive new. I definitely would have paid $600 for it, so when an even better opportunity

Oh, and one more thing: the Clarus is tiny. We're talking sorority-girl's-purse-on-a-Friday-night tiny. I hope people don't look at me funny when I'm carrying it around in its bag... :D
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

When I got mine, people were always asking me why I was taking a camera to the gig.
  11. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

That's great! I have been seriously considering the Clarus for a while now. I have only demo'd one briefly, and then in not the kindest of acoustic situations. But, I have heard VERY glowing reports from Clarus users (you have just joined that list!)

Size, weight, and mostly, the transparent quality of the tone are what interest me. I have, of late, been using a Baby Blue head as my "small" amp, and tho I do love this amp, it is becoming old and tired (she has seen a lot of gigs and sessions in the past 10 years), and so am looking at the clarus as a new option for a small and totable rig (using a small 2x8 or 1x10 Ashdown cab or 1x12 Bag End or Epifani cab).

For solo and clinics I play an ABG, and so the Clarus' "acoustical" quality is also of great interest.

After putting this issue on a backburner for several months your post here has once again brought it to focus....damn you! :-0)
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego