Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Conklin BD-7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SantosL.Halper, May 2, 2001.

1. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hello. I mentioned in some other threads that I found an online guitar store with a used Conklin Bill Dickens on sale for $775. Figured for that price it was worth checking out. It was advertised as "passive only". So, I got it, and it's in mint condition. But, first thing I did was check out the control cavity-yep, battery harness removed, and most of the pots unwired, and the thing was re-wired (poorly) so that I only have one functioning pup, vol and tone. And it still sounds AMAZING, and plays like a dream. Beautiful maple finish with nary a scratch. So, I figure with my margin, I can get it retroed (sp?) to original specs for not too much more outgo.

One intersting note-I'd recently bought a Cort Curbow 6 which I also really like (but nothing like the BD), and tuned it in 4th's. I had every intention of doing it with this too. I messed around with it, then figured what the hey and tuned it like a 7-string guitar. Well, this really opened things up or me, as I do play alot of guitar as well. Just a magnificant instrument.

One other note. I'm assuming the BD came with Conklin Snakeskin strings? If so, then I'm a big fan, and will get a set of 5's for my G&L L-2500...-SLH

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, congrats! :D

if they have the purple windings, they are the snakeskins. if they are gold, they are, in all likelyhood, dean markley sr2000's. and here's the kicker, they're the same string. conklin is just getting dean markley to rewrap the sr2000's with purple windings. so if you dig the snakeskins, they are the same things as the sr2000's will lee signature set.

something that you might consider on your bass is upgrading your electronics - for the 3 band, give the seymour duncan basslines 3 band eq a try - it's got a pull-pot for slap contour, with the frequency settings for that contour in the cavity - you can change the cut and gain frequencies of the pull pot. i have that preamp on my doubleneck and a couple of my single necks, i like it a lot.

another preamp that i have on a few of my basses is the demeter on board 3 band preamp. i'm running it 18 v, and it sounds really cool - the 7-string that i recorded the instrumental linked in my sig has that preamp. it especially works well with a low F# and the low B, the bass freq seems to be a bit deeper than the usual bass freq on 3 band eqs.

bartolini sells a cool sweepable mid eq that you could get also, don't know the specs, maybe email bill conkin, he uses it occasionally on some of the custom stuff.

in fact, give bill an email and ask him his opinion of what you should do - the stock electronics on the BD are excellent - all bart - but since you have to start from scratch, you might as well get exactly what you want.

good luck, and keep us posted. :D

3. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey John thanks a ton or the good info. Looking at the cavity, it looks like it's all intact-i.e., the modules are still there, as are all the pots and the switch. The pre-owner just unhooked everything and re-wired it ultra-basic. I took it to a respectable local tech and he suggested I send it to Conklin and have him retro-fit it to original specs, and I like that idea. Otherwise, I may have B. Conklin send me a schematic of the custom BArt. pre-amp and have the local techie do it.

Either way, WOW is it a fun/versatile axe. If I ever go custom some day, I'd have Conklin make me one of these, but as I'm a RANK amateur, I'm sure this will be all the bass and more I'll ever need...(famous last words)...-SLH

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, i wonder why that individual would've done that? don't mind me, but that sounds REALLY stupid, since they could've just wired a toggle to bypass all the electronics. :confused:

some people are dipsh!ts. still, though, i guess it's a good thing, because with all the stuff still in there, you should have NO problem putting it back the way it should be.

wow, that's really cool. what color is it? wood or purple?

5. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I totally agree JT. I keep thinking "hey, it's your bass", but really am at a loss. Plus, if the music store sold it for under 8 bills, think what they gave him? Either way, good for Santos.

Yea, really, a battery harness should be real simple, then a simple re-wiring. Should I make it an 18 volt? I saw your suggestion for doing that to a G&L...

It's the super-glossy maple finish, which I prefer over the wine-color. Like I say, not a scratch, the neck is awsome, I'm slapping, strumming chords with pedal tones. Yum. I'm on my way over to my buddy's to test drive it through his PA via my Gallien Kruger 700RB...-SLH

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know if it will work properly 18v - might not. you might want to ask bill conklin

7. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    John, the strings that came with it have red wrapping, so I'm kinda clueless. They are very light it seems, which is great, and the high B and E strings are still wound. Hmmm, any clues?-SLH

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably either rotosound - i know they use red wrapping - or possibly GHS strings. i'd bet on rotosound, unless they are taper-wound, then i don't know.