Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my DCM1000!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 21, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    man, i felt like a kid on christmas today. i got up early just incase the UPS guy decided to come early, and skipped all my classes just so i'd be here when he came. (the ups guy won't leave packages at our apartment, someone has to be here :( ) anyways...

the good:

i have it rigged up with my SWR Bass 350 as a preamp, running out of the effects out into the input on the DCM, then running parallel inputs and have one cab plugged into each channel of the DCM. it sounds like my bass 350, only MUCH louder, and TONS more headroom. slap seems to pop out a bunch more, and the low B is HUGE. seems to be built like a freakin tank, too.

the bad:

there's still some distortion in my speakers, so i think my 15 is, indeed, fried. it sounds great until i slam on a low B when it's really loud. am i right in thinking that 350W driving a cab that can handle 400W should never distort? it seems to be able to get MUCH louder without distorting than before though...

my rack is now WAY heavy. it just has the bass 350 and the dcm1000, and weighs more than my goliath jr! :eek:

the speakon's are upside down. i guess it'll take some getting used to, but i thought something was really wrong when i first fired it up.

the ugly:

my ears hurt from testing it out :D

seeing as how i don't need the bass 350 anymore, i've already got a buyer, and i should be getting my IOD sometime in the very near future. (that's not really ugly, except for my wallet!)

we'll see how it works on a gig. i don't have a big gig until halloween, so i won't be able to test it's true brawn till then. but i've got smaller stuff that we should be able to get an idea.

I'M VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason

2. Good deal man! Don't worry, the rack will get lighter as soon as you put in the IOD (Cool). I'm gonna guess you'll be impressed when you take it out to shows. The first time I played out w/ my new setup, I about wet myself. I couldn't get over how it sounded as I was playing, kept doing slides and such cause I hadn't played with it much at home:)

Cool.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    You should use a "preamp" out if you have one and not the effects loop and be sure to read and understand all of the instrunctions, ( limiters, paralell line etc...). I use a DCM1500 with an ampeg SVP-PRO and love it but yes it aint light. I bought a 10 space rack that im going to get rid of and get 2 4space racks so I can only take what I need. Good luck and have fun.

4. who makes the DCM? marshall?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nope. carvin.

the only thing my bass 350 has is a balanced out at either direct or line level. i'm sure i should be using that, but seeing as how i have no XLR cable right now, i can't.

but i'll be using an XLR with my preamp, so i'm gonna get one soon.

jason

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a DCM 2000, driven by an Eden Navigator preamp. These amps are heavy as all get out, but they sound great and are SUPER reliable.

I would suggest switching the limiter on the back of the power amp OFF. It results in a cleaner sound. Let your preamp handle the limiting. At least give it a try and judge for yourself.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Great buy man.
    Those amps really rock and the price is just unbelieveable.

"Thanks for buying from Carvin"
    :D

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    No. You can certainly damage a speaker with far less than its rated power if you deliver frequencies that distress it mechanically (i.e., over-excursion of the cone). Low notes, particularly low B, are not easy medicine for speakers to swallow. You have to be careful. Transients, such as are produced when slapping, can also cause mechanical damage.
    - Mike