Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Dean Rhapsody 8 string!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Jun 12, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Got one (a new Dean Rhapsody 8) from ebay for a real good price (~$470). I am very glad I did. It is an excellent bass for the money. I got the transparent black finish, which really looks like deep brown (because the bubinga top shows through dramatically). This is a gloss finish so it is shiney, but not too shiney. It is really cool looking. A few of the knobs needed to be repositioned (they were too high on the posts), all of the strings need tuning, and the truss rod needed a very slight adjustment, but other than that it is in very good shape. Also the equializer is backwards than the setup that was described in the recent BP review (the treble is where they said the bass was and the bass was where they said the treble was). The bass didn't come with instructions for the knobs, so I just had to figure them out. I also bought a TKL case for it as well. As for the sound. It is monsterous. the double g-string is a little bright, but a little on-board equalization fixed the majority of that. This thing sounds very different that a regular 4-string bass. It has a very full sound that can almost stand alone and carry bass and melody at the same time. I am still getting used to the playing technique. I like fingerstyle playing on it much better than the sharp pick sound.
    The EMG-HZ pups are OK, they are not super (expressing a full deep to bright tonal range) but they do handle the 8 strings well and I probably will not change them. The pickups may need some height adjustment to even out their sound, but that should be some easy adjustments to make over time. The electronics are quiet. For the price I definately recommend this bass (especially if you are looking for something different!!)

-KB

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think that this is one of the best new basses on the market. This bass would be great for a bassist in a band w/1 guitarist. Very full sound. They are made very well & sound just as good.

Congrats on the new bass & enjoy!!!!

3. can you pluck the strings as you would playing normal finger-style?

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes. You can play it basically the same way as a 4 string (not really good for slapping though :) )
    The difference in the technique comes from the wider neck and having to hold down 2 strings together with your left hand. The right hand technique is close to the same as their is room to fit fingers between the string groups. It is difficult to just play 1 string of the pair (it can be done, but I haven't mastered it yet), but then that really isn't the point of an 8 string.

-KB

5. Wow. I'll have to admit, when it first came out I thought it was just a novelty, but since the reviews I've heard are so great, I'm going to check one out...