Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got my dearmond! and some questions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 5, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i ordered it (Cobalt Blue Pilot Plus 5) a week and a half ago from samash.com - they said they were backordered, yet lo and behold, there she be today!

so...here's my opinion -

Construction

well...i got it with a bit of paint chipped off - it absolutely had to have happened in the factory, it just looks like the coat wasn't finished or something. not so bad. the little plastic control instruction plate thing required taking off the knobs to remove, a PITA. bridge is BIG, solid. electronics look good. neck is solid, fretwork is excellent, hardware all seems good.

Playability
    coming from a warwick thumb 5, this neck seems WIDE and SKINNY. but it does play pretty nice, not too much fret buzz, neck has a nice finish on it. i love j basses - so the pickup positions are perfect for me. very comfortable and light to wear.

Sound/Electronics
    it sounds like an active J bass. almost spot on. the electronics are surprisingly quiet, turn the treble to 10 and it has just as much treble hiss as my warwick does! (next to none) the only wierd thing is that when you move the blend knob off 50/50 it hums. oh well...some humbucker pickups are in order i suppose. EQ is powerful.

Bad stuff
    i can see three things i will have to fix about this bass. 1) pickup hum. 2) weak-ass B string. it's REALLY quiet, i've tried raising the pickups but that leads me to 3) picku¦&ight is a BITCH to adjust. i don't think there's any foam or anything under the pickups pushing them up, so you have to wedge a flathead screwdriver underneath and pry.

overall/value

for 159 bucks shipped....it's the best bass on the planet. does my warwick kick the crap out of it? oh yeah. but is it 15 times better? (the difference between the price of the two) i don't think so...maybe 10. ;)

so my questions are - how can i fix the weak B string, and how should i get the pickups to adjust better? foam strips?

on a side note - my musicman sterling fretless is almost done too - getting a new macassar ebony fingerboard. i will then have three kick ass basses. :D

jason

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I replaced the worn out piece of foam under the pickup on my Hamer with a piece of rubber tubing.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well that's the exact same bass I have on order, hasn't shown up yet. For pickup foam I've heard cutting up a mouse pad and doubling it up works well. You may want to give it a day or two as I've had the same problem with another bass and after a couple days the foam expanded properly. I'll probably change out the strings on mine after it arrives to either TI or GHS, I'm not sure what strings come on it, probably Fender.

Enjoy the new bass!

4. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    My bass, in wine red, came yesterday. The B string is very weak. Let me know if you come up with a solution. The finish on mine was fine. I lowered the action quite a bit. You are right about the value. You can't beat it for $159!

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I ordered a Pilot Plus 5 in wine red about a week to 2 weeks ago.dad hasn't called so i dunno if it has arrived yet for me-he said expect it next time you come here [july 14] so i hope it arrives if not he owes me money {if it doesn't come i've been paying him for it}. Warwick-when it arrives if its anything like you've said this is gonna be a good bass for me. An idea that i have thought about is since i'll be using this bass for marching band is to save up to swap out the neck to a graphite-outdoors in temperatures ranging from freezing to 90s so i think that might be a good move for me. thats all

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that's kinda funny - my action came almost TOO low. i needed to raise all the strings a little bit.

jason

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Marching band? I sure hope you're going wireless. :D

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hey its here! Just played it for about 15 minutes. No finish problems, or any problems that I could find. The G string is a little closer to the edge of the fret board than I would like but I don't think it will pose a problem. The strings are apparently made by Guild, I'm not a big fan of rounds but these are pretty smooth and not too noisy. The B string is a bit floppy, but this is my first 5'er so I don't have much in comparison. I like the thin neck (front to back) and the string spacing feels "jazz like" to me which suits me just fine. The bass sounds good, the output on the B sounds OK to me compared to the other strings it seems balanced.

Bottom line, I can't belive this only cost me $159 delivered to my door.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wow....it seems like the only thing with these basses are inconsistant setups. if your B isn't weak - could you tell me how close your pickups are to the string?

jason

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Measured without fretting the string.

B string to neck pup 3/16"
    B string to bridge pup 1/8"

You may want to experiment with the bass EQ settings, I tend to like a heavy bass tone and EQ that way.

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    MJB-I don't have that kinda money & the school doesn't have that much patience to have me march :D I'm in the pit with an amp plugged into a dedicated generator. Using Fender California Cables-not that expensive but IMO better than the store brand ones with the colored ends. thats all