Got my Demeter VTBP-201s In!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Apr 22, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I got this precious preamp in the mail (UPS) just two days ago.

Wow. I really haven't been able to push it or "see what it can do" just yet, and I haven't had the opportunity, but from me plugging into my recording setup at home through my PC, I LOVE IT!

I got it in a straight-up trade for my Ampeg SVT-III Pro. So, I don't have a power amp just yet, but I'm working on it (hopefully a Stewart 1.2 or something similar- lightweight and efficient), but I can't wait. I have it plugged in right now into my Peavey combo (ha), but even just setting that as flat as possible, and then running through the pre, it's amazing. I can't wait to get this rig running up and through my Schroeder. I'm kinda scared at what it's gonna do! :bag:

You can get the tubey-ness from the all-tube design, but the ultra-clarity that I like is there as well. The simplistic and (IMO) very chic metal/black print design just looks great. Looks to be very solid and dependable. This is 100X better than the RBI I used to have. THIS is what a preamp is supposed to sound like! Rawk!!! :bassist:
  2. Hey Rocky, congrats! I love mine. When you get a chance try some different tubes too. The EV's that usually come in those units are pretty hot and I like them well enough. I put some NOS Telefunken Black Smooth Plates in mine and I was pretty impressed. The NOS tubes can get real pricey and it comes down to how much you want to spend and experiment with. My best advise is do some searches and read as much as you can first. You can get ripped off big time if you don't do your home work with NOS. Have fun dude and let us know how the rig does.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Good score on a great preamp! I used one for a little over a year but Im a fickle gear head so I dont have it anymore. Pure and simple describes that pre best IMO. Very high quality DI as well.
  4. Rock;

congrats on the Demeter, it's a great preamp. If you decide to get a Stewart 1.2 keep in mind to leave a 1/2 space open between power amp and preamp to avoid overheating and temporary shutdown. The Stewart is an excellent amp but that's is a little flaw you can live with, unless you decide to go for the 1.6 or 2.1, which have an integrated fan.
  5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Thanks all for the support!

As far as "new" tubes and such go, I should be good with whatever's in there for now. :) Going from Ampeg to this is like night and day in terms of definition and clarity. I guess I could pop the hood and see what tubes are even in there, as it wasn't new.

Jorg- Yeah, I noticed that I'm gonna need to have a little space for my units. Just from having it on for about 30 minutes or so, that pre got pretty warm from me barely pushing it. I have a 6-space rack, so I figure if I put the Stewart down at the bottom, the Demeter about halfway in, and leave my Furman in the top space, I should have excellent spacing for air-flow. I also have a little fan from Brookstone I guess I could bring along if we were doing just an enormous set or something. But I should be alright for now, I think. Thanks for the heads-up, too!

And btw- sorry if I didn't check out your cabs last summer whenever I got that Dean bass from you. :) They're leaps and bounds over the Mesa gear I had. I just love my 1210. I can't wait to order a 21012.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

from all accounts, a Dem / Shroe setup would be mighty killer.

but a little confused, if you own a Shroe, why use the Peavey?
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

I'm hoping it will. I know the cab rocks, and I know the pre rocks. Now just need to get them together!

The reason is, I haven't been able to get a poweramp just yet. I traded my Ampeg straight for the Dem, and I need to scrap together just a few more bucks before I can go out and get the power amp I want. I figure I could just get a cheap one, but I wanna save just a bit more and get the Stewart I want. Plus, we don't have another gig until the end of May, so for right now I'm just gonna plug the Dem straight into one of our powered Mackie mains and use that.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Demeter/ Schroeder combo IS killer!!!! :bassist: