Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my DI-1000

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Starwind, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    just got it... it's larger and heavier than I expect. I was thinking about something around BDDI size :p

didn't have chance to test it... have to wait Sunday for church gig.

Edit: Used it this sunday, please scroll down ;)

Attached Files:

2. wow that thing is way bigger than i've expected, i've been considering picking one up for awhile. care to post some sound clips? or maybe a review once you've had it for a bit :)

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I just got one too...hard to get up here in Canada, not officially available up here, had to special order it (The guys at Kief are awesome!)

Ironically, I've had it for almost two weeks, and I only have recoreded a guitar with it...I haven't had a chance to do anything else...

...I'll maybe sit down with it later tonite or tomorrow and retrack some parts I've been working on...I got it mostly for recording, but I'm sure it will see some live use as well!

4. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    I'd like to do some recroding but so far the only thing I can do is record by soundcard's line-in. Don't think it would show the quality of this DI.

Thought about buy a BMax too (not the tube version). It's $100 more than this DI and has internal compressor. However I need some money to buy recording hardware later... also want a SX fretless.... :ninja:

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Mine was the reverse experience; I liked the BBE 362 in my live rig, and so wanted the same thing for recording.

6. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    Used it today. My set it

bass (Tobias Toby-Pro5) ->
    Zoom506 -> DI-1000 (XLR) -> Mixer
    (Thru) -> Combo Amp asmonitor

The sound is great. My first impression is "clear". It sounds more nature than the BDDI I used before, I have EQ on mixer set to 0, Zoom506 bypassed. The sound is warm and sweet with punch and definition. I didn't have time to fine tune the Sonic Maximizer so I ending keep it off. Everyone came to me after worship and says "bass sounds great today". Told them "$200 works... praise the lord :D "

There are something I want to complain.
    1. No power indicator. There are no way to know if your battery (or AC power) is alive.
    2. No output volume control or at least a "mute" button. It's a pain to unplug the cable unless you tell the PA to turn off your track from Mixer, and even if you can turn the PAD to -30db to reduce the signal, the 1/4" output is a "Thru", not output, so the signal is still hot.
    3. No wet 1/4" output. I know that DI-100x has one, but there are only a "thru" on DI-1000. You can't hear the processed sound (post Sonic Maximizer) from monitor if your setting is same as I (use a combo amp as monitor).
    4. Size.... as I mentioned in first post... it's BIG....but well I can accept it.

Conclusion. To me it looks like a better studio device than live-gig gear. It has great sound, but not that friendly when you on stage.

Just my $0.02

7. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
  8. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    I bought one and have actually returned it becauce it was defect, at least I thought so until I read this! Got a brand new replacement but it's the same problem: I get no wet 1/4" output signal. Haven't tried the XLR yet, but that's irrelevant. I just wanna plug into my soundcard and get sound! Any clue?

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are you effing kidding? Use the XLR!!!!!!!!!!

10. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    Well, I don't have XLR input on my soundcard or on the amp so.. The question is: why is there no wet on the 1/4" thru?What is it for?

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's to send an un-effected signal to your amp, or to a chain of pedals on the way to the amp. Almost all DI's have a plain "thru" jack which is nothing more than identical to the input signal; but I can see why that would be annoying in this case.

Are the inputs on your soundcard "TRS", "balanced", or "stereo" 1/4" jacks? If so, you just need an XLR-TRS cable.

12. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    Wow that's news man, I really didn't know! Yes it's a bit annonying 'cause I want to process all the effects with the BBE before going into the amp. Can I use the XLR-TRS cable between the bass and the amp? Well, I guess it's time to invest in a new soundcard 'cause the one I have is just stereo" 1/4" jacks.
    Thanks Bongo, you are brilliant!

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    When you say 'stereo 1/4" jacks' do you mean two mono jacks, or is each jack a stereo jack? If each jack is stereo, that's where you'd use the XLR-TRS cable. The XLR out is unfortunately not suited for sending signal to your amp.

14. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    No they are mono jacks. I get the feeling I should have bought a Sonic Maximizer unit instead...
    Anyway, thanks!

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    You probably want a Sonic Maximizer or a MaxCom in your situation.

The simplest thing to do with the box and sound card you have is go XLR to mono 1/4, I've done it with mine a time or two when I've had to play through a house rig and I wanted the Maximizer...I'm not about to pull my rack apart for those gigs, so there we went.

For some reason, the DI100 version has a wet thru signal, so you may want to consider that option as well.

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is very interesting.... It would be cool to be able to switch the effect in and out on the thru side. Do you guys have any of these units at Lakeshore?! I have spent WAY too much money there lol!

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    LOL, BBE stuff is special order, we generally would only have used stock in the store. I can order it for you if you're interested though, come by or give me a call later!