1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got my DP126 set - sound files here

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jun 13, 2002.

1. I got my pickups promptly and they were in perfect condition - thanks to notduane for the heads up on Velvet Guitar Parts Ltd. I installed them last night, and put my new Lo-Riders on today (my first experience with DR's).

Right now, I love how my bass sounds. I put the strings on, tuned up, gave the trussrod a tweak and then plugged in. I plucked my E and life became good :D. After a few minutes of playing, stretching the strings etc. I realised that stainless DR Lo-Riders are perfect for DGCF tuning. My bass feels like it's in standard. I'm strung .50 .70 .90 .110 high to low. I stretched the strings out a bit so they don't lose tune, and to my surprise they were perfectly intonated. The newly applied finish on the back of the neck is also silky smooth.

Anyway, I decided to record some sound files for any folks wanting to hear the DP126 set. The bass body is poplar, maple neck, rosewood board. I play fingerstyle, slap, then pick (in that order) on each of the files. I chose Rage Against The Machine's "Bullet In The Head" to do this.

P pickup solo

P pickup solo, Full Tone

J pickup solo

J pickup solo, Full Tone

P+J pickups, Full Tone

I forgot about the P+J pickups solo, but suffice to say it sounds like the last example with rolled off treble. Hope you like my tone - I do!

Cheers,

PF

P.S. Any comments would be welcome.

2. I'd like permission to put your files on my web site.

Please email me with a full description of the bass, strings, pickups, and how it was recorded. My email is available in my signature.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    cool beans! :D I hope it didn't take too long to get those pups.
    Guess ya' saved some moolah anyways ;)...a new set o' DR's!

Yikes! Them are some nasty, nasty tones ya' got goin' on there [​IMG]

Can't wait to stick the D/m Ultra-J's in my BBn4f. I just gotta'
    find some Pyramid Pure Nickel Roundwounds ("funk" gauge :) ).

4. I always liked the Ultra J's, but it would have been hella expensive to get one and another P pickup matched output.

You're looking at smooth, crisp tone there friend. Not my bag (I have two screaming half-stacks to kill) but they will make you very, very happy.

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    :D

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dern shame things are so `spensive that side of the pond.
    Before I stumbled into that used bbn4f, my next futziin'
    project was gonna' be an RBX270F, with a Dimarzio Split-P
    model at the neck and an Ultra-J at the bridge. Accordin'
    to the D/m web site, their outputs are both 250mV.

7. I'd stil like to try a DiMarzio Will Power Middle split-P in my MIM. I have a Duncan Hot P in there now and it sounds just fine. Nice and loud, too.

But... the WP Middle is supposed to be the monster grunt pickup for split-P. It heavily favors the lows and mids while rolling off the highs.

Tinker.. tinker... tinker...

8. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I'd like to hear the p+j flat recorded still. cool tone though!