Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Epifani 310.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Apr 6, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Got my Epifani 310 Ultralight & Eden Time Traveler head last night................Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gotta run to work, I'll post more about it later today.

2. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Home now!

Anyway, about the new set up.
    When the cab came I demo-ed it at the shop (force of habit, do this with all new gear I buy) and thank god I did. The cab sounded like poo poo. No kidding, no bottom, real clanky/harsh sounding. We A/B with a standard 310 and the standard killed the Ultralight in every way. :meh:
    A quick call was placed to Epifani and while the shop owner was talking to Brett (who was real helpful BTW) I was talking to one of the guys saying that it sounds like a out of phase speaker. Well, a quick check with a trust 9 volt battery and sure enough, one speaker was.
    5 min later the guys pulled off the grill and swapped the leads and bingo!! It was slammin'!!!!!!!! :hyper:

I got everything home and plugged in (more on the amp in a sec.) and cranked it up, WAY up!!! Like getting 1000 pounds of dark chocolet poured over me.....SWEET!!!!!!!!!! :D

I dig the amp a lot as well. Nice and clean and not as "Edeny" as the others in the Eden line. It's only 330 watts but judging from how it sounded last night, I think it will be more than enough. I really dig the mute feature. It mutes all the outputs except the tuner out.
    It also has a speaker off switch which I like as well. I usually sound check with the DI only then roll in my stage volume as needed. I work with the same sound company often and they always ask at one point for me to kill my stage volume to see how it effects what they are doing, so a simple switch is kinda nice.
    And for the most part the amp lives up to it's claim about sounding pretty much the same from low volume to high volume than most other amps (within reason) I've used/owned.
    I'm running it with everything flat except the Midrange. I engauge the mid shift to 2.2K and dial back the Mids control between 8 & 9 o'clock. I also have the Bass and Treble boost on with the compressor only kicking in when playing hard. The enhance knob is almost off.
    The tweeter control on the cab is around 10 o'clock.

The full band will be here tomorrow. Tried it with just the guitar player and drummer last night.

All this and only 60 pounds!!!!!!!!!

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Did you compare the epi 310 to the epi 410? What did you like/dislike about them? Thanks.

4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I never had a chance to play through the 410. I can't imagine it's going to be all that much different from my 310 except for louder!!
    I'm still stunned on how efficient it is and how much low end (if you want it) it produces. But I forget that it is just smaller than a 410.

It's really smooth sounding.

Compared to my Aguilar GS112 cabs, which I thought were the cats ass until I heard this, it's much smoother between the tweeter and woofer with nicer mids (not as present).
    Don't get me wrong, I was perfectly happy with my set up. Had no intention of getting rid of it. But damn, that box sounds nice :D And it's the same weight, albeit, bigger.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    congrats Mike,

i love my 3x10UL, too. just wish it'd fit my Honda Accord's trunk, tho. :(

still, its prolly one of the best farkin' cabs i've ever had the pleasure of owning. many more days of tonal goodness to come. :cool: