Got my Epiphone Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rllefebv, Nov 3, 2001.

1. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My Jack Casady arrived yesterday. Wow! I think I'm in love! I'll post some pictures later, but you can view it on ebay still...

Couple of confusing points about the link above... The write-up mentions a 'Cool Gold Classic' while the pictures show a black bass. Also, mentions two imperfections, (neck-heel repair and a cracked headstock), and says to see the photos, (which don't show either of them). The fine print says that the seller sometimes uses stock photos, so I'm figuring I could possibly pull a Gold bass out of the box. None of this mattered really to me cause I wanted a Jack regardless of color, and well done repairs don't scare me. The bass I received is the bass pictured, and I'm pleased to report that there is no crack in the headstock and I can find no heel repair, even under my strong workshop lights! The only thing I can figure is that they had a page from another bass that sold and listed this bass using it. Score!

The bass did arrive with some cheesy-a$$ed bronze strings and action that was a mile-high, (and I thought I liked high action!!). I had to leave for a gig about an hour and a half after I got home, so I quickly changed strings, adjusted the action and intonation, (the neck relief was exactly how I set up my other basses! Thank goodness for small favors...), set the pickup height, installed strap-locks and split the scene! I was a little nervous as I hadn't even plugged it in, (I knew I was getting a signal as I used my tuner to intonate it), but I had my P-Bass along, so no worries!

Got to the gig with a few minutes to spare, so I had time to dial in a useable tone, thanks to Michael Jewels. I used his recommended strings and settings and was good to go. All the raving that the 'Jacksters' on TB do about the tone of this bass is absolutely true!!! I was skeptical, (I have never seen one in person, much less heard one in a live setting), but I am a believer now! Deep, authorative, ringing bass was the order of the day. Boosting the tone knob nicely enhanced the highs, however between 3 and 5 were my favs when I wanted bite. The Electar pickup is way responsive, and I was surprised with the hot output, even with the Vari-Ohm set to 50. Since it was a live playing situation, I didn't do too much messing with the tone... found a few settings and stayed with them. I'll do more in the next few weeks, but I can only imagine pleasant scenarios!

The only area of any difficulty was in adjusting to the different body style and the way it sits on me. The bass is about 2 1/2 pounds lighter than my P-Bass, (I was surprised, but that's what the scale says this morning...), but it's going to take some time for my body to adjust. With the strap button behind the neck, the bass tends to pitch forward ever so slightly, and I found that after 5 sets, my back was killing me. I had this same deal when playing a Danelectro Longhorn, (which weighs next to nothing), so I know it's a body style thing. I have no doubt I'll adapt. I've got another five sets tonight, so the P may make an appearance. I've been playing it almost exclusively for the past 3 1/2 years, (and Fender style bodies forever), so it fits like a glove... I'll get there with the Jack, I'm sure. We're getting a reputation locally as 'The Band with the dancing Bass Player' so I spent a great deal of time out on the dance floor swinging around, (I'm wireless). No problems playing this bass and shakin' your butt at the same time!!! Pretty effortless neck, (There's hope Craigb!)... I like a baseball bat type Fender neck, but had no problems transitioning to the slimmer profile, and upper fret excursions were a breeze!

To sum up, I love this bass and can't imagine why more people haven't embraced them. All of the 'Epiphone Horror Stories' and quality concerns with a Korean made axe were blown out of the water for me last night. As far as my acquisition, A+++ on the quality. Thanks for the tip on cases at Music123... Mine's on order!

Have fun,
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Cool! Very nice that there aren't any cracks/repairs on it. Mine will be arriving this week. My plan, providing the neck fits me and it sounds like it should, is to commit to not buying or selling a bass for a calendar year. I do have dispensation from my wife to buy/sell things that are just unbeatable deals (I've had a couple things that I've bought and then later resold on ebay at a profit - things I bought for myself but I might actually start do it as a side thing).

Sounds like you got a steal. I'm looking forward to joining the Jacksters later this week.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey, I just checked out the pics of your Casady again and noticed something. It's got a black pickguard when the standard is cream (mine has cream in the pictures). So yours is already customized!

I may be close to being in your shoes. I expect the Casady and Beast to both arrive on Thursday (band practice day) while I'm at work so I won't be able to practice with them before our gig Saturday. That should make things interesting.