Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got My Essex Jazz '75 !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkspec, May 4, 2003.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Got it a few days ago. Havent really had time to post because I have been playing it so much. To start off Im not to experienced at playing bass. But, It this what a Jazz bass is Im Astounded. This thing sounds amazing. It has a really really nice smooth tone. Well built, my hands just roll all over the fretboard. In my opinion it is alot better then my Squier P-Bass. The only thing that is a bit annoying about it is that its a bit noisy. I believe that Is the pickups and im considering putting some serymour duncan classic stack in it. So anyways, If anyone gots any comments or questions I will anwser them, pictures will be up soon.

2. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Before you replace the pickups, make sure you check for ground loops, and put some sort of shielding in the cavities.

This may eliminate almost all of the hum.

3. Congrat's on the bass, Jazz basses rock man. Have some fun with gettin some diff sounds on it (Solo the bridge p'up for a nice growl, both P'ups full on for a Marcus Miller slap sound) and just enjoy yourself. Nothing like getting a new bass. As for the noise, single coils will always be noisy, if its noisier than any other single coil you've played consider checking the grounding and what not like CS Bass said, and also sitting in front of a computer monitor like I do most of the time Im playing makes for a hell of a lot of noise. Once again, enjoy! :)

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Should be getting mine tommorow. Hope mine is as good as the others.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    damn you all!

i'm ordering one right now.

6. congrats.. got any pictures of it...

7. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Yeah, I got the pics, But they are to big to upload and homestead wont work, Ill try again now.

8. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    man, this sux, cant seem to upload them. What a buzzkill

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    congrats I hear great thing about essex basses.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How long did it take for everyone to get their bass? I ordered one Friday... I want it now. :(

11. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    sis ordered mine on saturday, got it the next friday if memory serves correct.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Too... long... rragh

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ordered mine this afternoon, got the ship notice an hour later. :D :D :D

must....get...tracking....number.....

14. Took just a little less than a week.

I took and showed it to my friends that work at a music store. They sell MIM J's and P's. I took it in the back and showed it off. Didn't want any possible customers knowing about it, just to not piss off the manager there. The employees (bass player friend in particular) thought that it was an impressive piece. Then I told em it cost $123 shipped. They weren't happy that their MIM j's sold for $329 w/ a solid finish and plain board. Said thanks, but keep it away from there, it would hurt their sales :D

I may get some basslines active P/U's. I've installed a set in a friend's J before. Very tasty P/U's. I may just put in some bartolini 9J1's like I have in my carvin fretless. It does need some better P/U's. At least something w/o exposed pole pieces. And I'll still have to make a nut for it, the stocker doesn't let the strings move enough. And I'd like to get a roller string tree.

So, for roughly the out-the-door price of a MIM j, you can have a very nicely modded/upgraded bass. Plus it will have a better looking finish :D