Got My ESSEX! (pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Weee! That was very quick! I know you can't read this Kurt but thanks for making that exception for me! They shipped it out the night before they left for NAMM and I got it this afternoon.

An addition to my arsenel :)

I was wondering if there are anything things I should do with it in the first few days of owning it. How do I tell if its in tune? And if im playing a chord whats the fingering?

I will prolly be buying a case and stand and amp and tuner and strap in the next few days.

I hope you like the picture :). They are infront of my record player. The other guitar is an epiphone lefty Les Paul
  2. Wow! That's a nice lookin' Essex!:eek: Congrats and enjoy!:)
  3. Looks hot!!

You should also pick up a bass-book and tuner!!!

Look over everything, is there any scratches or dents? Is the neck straight, or slighty bent upwards?

Does she play comfy-like? :)
    If you feel the stirngs are too high, you could eaisly lower the action, but I doubt the bass has any set up issues!

Happy bass playing :):cool:
  4. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Thats a good looking couple.. I love the inlay on the Essex.
  5. Bass looks as straight as it can be. Im going over to a friend of mine's tomorrow and he bought one of those Squire Bass packaged a few weeks ago so were going to watch that tape that comes with it.

Think I should take the plastic off the pick guard and pickups yet?
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    thanks for the looks sharp! Have fun.
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Nice! never seen a picture of a lefthanded Essex. I definitely want one of those.. Thats the SJB62 right?

8. imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Wow. That is a pretty bass dude. As for the plastic, I say take it off. :D

Sweetness. Rock on.
  9. suh-WEEET!!!

Lefties and record players are cool!!

10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    :p @ the record player comment
  11. I have the same bass, except the right handed version, BG150. Sweet bass!
  12. Thank ye kindly. How has it treated you over the years?

Also, how do you get it to stand up w/o a stand??? Its really getting me mad because one side of the body has more weight than the other so i can't stand it up against a wall.
  13. I wouldn't leave it lyring on anything, but try leaving it on carpet, and then face the stirngs onto whatever your lying it on, and then lay the bass at a slant.

Watch though, thr strings could scratch the surface!!

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Nice bass. Jazz basses stand up best with a stand. One will only set you back about $20. Have fun and welcome to the low-end.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow that is a beautiful Essex Jazz bass. That's the one that I was in love with, along with the fretless P. As for standing it up, you need a suspension stand for that, it's one quirk of a Jazz Bass. Make sure you get a stand like this:Here. NOT ONE LIKE THIS!!! And I wouldn't worry about a case, just get a nice gig bag.
  16. Im going to go to my local music store today and get some accessories. I think im going to get one of those hooks that goes into the wall or maybe a 2 guitar stand (i still have my les paul).

Someone make me a shopping list :)
  17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    OK. :)

Wide strap
    Korg Tuner
    Nice Hard Shell Case
    New Strings
    String Winder (Bass Model)
    Books by Ed Friedland or Carol Kaye
    Pics for the crew here.

That should do it.

18. Alrighty.

I think im going to get a Straplock system type strap because many people have said the bass has a potential to get off the strap.

I think ill go with that Korg CA-20 tuner. Is it an LCD tuner? I don't trust them as much as a VU type tuner.

I'm going to get a nice gig bag instead of a hard case. I'd rather wear my bass on my back and have all my accessories instead of carrying the thing with 1 hand and only be able to keep minimal accessories.

Ill prolly get either a 2 guitar stand or a wall hook for my bass. This all depends on price ofcourse :)

I have a guitar string winder and I think that may work but if the bass winders are about the same price I guess ill spring on one.

I need someone to recommend a bass chord (no pun intended)! I like those one with the right angle plug, but only 1 right angle plug :).

Can someone recommend a book also? I'd want something all encompassing if possible. I want to learn scales, styles, techniques, tips, artist, being in a band stuff, ect.

Am I forgetting anything? :)

Thanks for all your help guys and pictures WILL be on the way soon!
  19. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It is an LCD tuner, however I find it to be very accurate and does have a bass-mode.

The bass winders handle the large tuning heads. Guitars ones just don't fit.

Monster Cables would be my guess.

Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland. Glenn Letsch Beginning Bass. Carol Kaye's How to Play the Electric Bass and her Bass Video Course.