1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got my first bass, and guitar center screwed it up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by continental, Aug 28, 2007.

1. So I've been browsing this forum for a long time now, and decided on the perfect bass for me, a 5-string fretless acoustic (I have weird tastes). I've piddled around with every acoustic bass I've come across (Takamine, Ibanez, Tacoma) and this Michael Kelly (to me anyways) sounds the best.

I go to Guitar Center and haggle the price down to $400 (was $600) since its a little banged up and you could tell its been in the store for a while. I told the salesman "if you put new strings on there, I'll take it."

The salesman says "yeah sure, no problem." and immediately grabs a wire-cutter and cuts off all the strings at once, tries to pop out the bridge pins with some pliers. They wouldn't budge so he got 2 other guys to help (one guy to hold the bass down, one guy to push from inside the bass, and one guy pulling with the pliers.) Eventually, they got em all off.

Then the salesperson says "oh! let me get the new strings." and walks away. Comes back with a set. He opens 'em up and I notice they are shiny silver, not bronze. I say "Aren't those for electric bass?" He says "huh?" I say "This is an acoustic bass, it uses acoustic bass strings." So he rolls his eyes and walks back to the string counter.

Five minutes later he comes back and says "Well...we don't have any of those strings in stock. So....I can hold the bass for you and give you a call when the new strings come in. That sound good?"
    I said "Uhmmm...no thats not good, because the neck will warp without any strings on it"
    He says "Ohhh....well I'll go ahead and put the electric bass strings on, and we'll switch them out when the new strings come in."
    I was so tired of dealing with this guy I just said "sure whatever."
    So now I have a pretty nice acoustic bass that is sitting around and is unplayable at the moment. argh!

Now I don't know a whole lot about guitars, but if you work at a guitar store, you should (A) know the difference between electric and acoustic strings, and (B) CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE THE STRINGS IN STOCK BEFORE YOU CUT THEM OFF!!!!!!!

Here's some pics of it (sorry the quality sucks)

2. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I had no idea about the warping of the neck!

is the same true for electric?

3. From what I've read if you go long periods of time without strings the neck will be damaged. In my case, it would be a week or two for the new strings to come in...and I'd rather not risk it.

I don't know for sure, that's just what I've read. Somebody else on here probably knows alot more about this than I do

4. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Just loosen the truss rod to release the tension that would normally be countering the pull of the strings and you'll have no problem.

Electric or Acoustic nearly all have truss rods and it is not good, long term to have no strings and a truss rod under tension. A couple of weeks isn't going to do a lot to the bass unless you have a very unconventional neck construction.

5. Why is it unplayable? I've seen people use regular bass strings before. (Unless that is just for acoustic-electric) It should still make some sound right? ;)

6. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    It's not unplayable. "Electric strings" may not sing the same way as acoustic bass guitar strings but they'll definitely work! In regard to warping the neck ... Neck adjustments are why basses have truss rods. BUT this is a mute point because the bass is playable with electric strings. Play it ... enjoy it and change out the strings when you can. Plus ... strings are cheap ... get the strings the GC owes you but call around and get the strings you WANT from another store too. Why wait? You'll need to change your strings every now and then anyway ... the extra set sure won't waste. So call around ... buy a FEW sets of strings if you can aford it.

On in regard to music store salesmen knowing what they're doing?? NOPE .... not always. Now a days lots of the people who work at music stores are just kids who play a little and think it's COOL to work in a music store. And the Guitar Center is famous for hiring kids. Remember ... people don't get paid a lot of money in music stores ... the stores will hire anyone they can! It's rare to find someone who really knows their stuff at a GC. That's why I tend to deal directly with the store manager if I can help it. At least THEY have been around.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd rather bite down hard on a set of those bronze "acoustic" strings and rip 'em outta my mouth than actually use them on an ABG...I can't stand the things. Flatwound electric strings on both my ABGs.

And next time you get the urge to go to GC.......don't.

8. Aren't you not supposed to cut the strings off like that? Seems harmful to the bass for that sudden shift in tension.

9. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    What a dufus. I once saw two beautiful basses at an auction...an Alembic and a Rickenbacker....both with similar cracks on their necks....from being unstrung for too long.

10. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    So I've been browsing this forum for a long time now, and decided on the perfect bass for me, a 5-string fretless acoustic (I have weird tastes). I've piddled around with every acoustic bass I've come across (Takamine, Ibanez, Tacoma) and this Michael Kelly (to me anyways) sounds the best.

I go to Guitar Center and haggle the price down to $400 (was $600) since its a little banged up and you could tell its been in the store for a while. I told the salesman "if you put new strings on there, I'll take it."

The salesman says "yeah sure, no problem." and immediately grabs a wire-cutter and cuts off all the strings at once, tries to pop out the bridge pins with some pliers. They wouldn't budge so he got 2 other guys to help (one guy to hold the bass down, one guy to push from inside the bass, and one guy pulling with the pliers.) Eventually, they got em all off.

Then the salesperson says "oh! let me get the new strings." and walks away. Comes back with a set. He opens 'em up and I notice they are shiny silver, not bronze. I say "Aren't those for electric bass?" He says "huh?" I say "This is an acoustic bass, it uses acoustic bass strings." So he rolls his eyes and walks back to the string counter.

Five minutes later he comes back and says "Well...we don't have any of those strings in stock. So....I can hold the bass for you and give you a call when the new strings come in. That sound good?"
    I said "Uhmmm...no thats not good, because the neck will warp without any strings on it"
    He says "Ohhh....well I'll go ahead and put the electric bass strings on, and we'll switch them out when the new strings come in."
    I was so tired of dealing with this guy I just said "sure whatever."
    So now I have a pretty nice acoustic bass that is sitting around and is unplayable at the moment. argh!

Now I don't know a whole lot about guitars, but if you work at a guitar store, you should (A) know the difference between electric and acoustic strings, and (B) CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE THE STRINGS IN STOCK BEFORE YOU CUT THEM OFF!!!!!!!

Here's some pics of it (sorry the quality sucks)

MISTAKE HIGHLIGHTED IN RED.

I have had similair strign problems, and here is what I say. I do not let anyone string or unstring my bass, unless they play the bass, and I have seen the shape that there's is in.

11. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I had no strings on my spector sitting on a stand in my room for almost 2 years. I strung it back up and had to do some very minor adjustments to the truss rod and I was good to go.

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ...Must be unlucky with your guitar center.

The employees working at the one I go to generally seem to be pretty knowledgeable guys.

But these you were dealing with definitely sound like twits.

Enjoy the bass, though! I been thinking about grabbing one myself.