1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got my first "BASS" CD

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dano59, Apr 10, 2009.

1. It's amazing how differently I have been hearing music since I started playing bass. I listen for the bass and hear it in much more detail that I ever have in the past but I haven't ever bought a CD, or album for us older folk, featuring a bass player.
    Growing up in the SF bay I was a big fan of Tower Of Power and I picked up last months issue of Bass Player with Rocco Prestia on the cover and learned he was TOP's basest, so why not give him a shot.
    I ordered in "everybody on the bus" and I have to say that I was not disappointed at all.
    The whole CD is great and even though I never realized I was a "funk fan" there is no other way to describe those tunes.
    Very Cool

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    You just learned he was TOP's bassist? Sheesh, where have you been?! ;)

Some to check out are:

Palmystery by Victor Wooten

and Thunder by SMV (Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten)

3. Ok OK, I just started playing and never really paid that close of attention as to who was playing bass before.:cool:
    Thanks for the recommendations.

4. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    +1 on thunder!!! such a good song

5. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    If you want a great bass education, check out www.wefunkradio.com

I find myself playing along way too often:oops:

6. HUGE +1,000,000 to THUNDER, the whole album is amazing!! I drove 12 hours to Vegas to catch their tour last year and got to meet all three of um after the show (unforgettable experience) the show alone was worth the drive.

Palmystery is also amazing, be sure to check out Vic's other album Ying-Yang, great album as well.

Also you might want to give Return To Forever a listen if you dig Fusion(Romantic Warrior is a great album), and Marcus Millers solo albums are great. And don't forget about Jaco Pastorious' self titled album, Brand X, and all the other great fretless stuff out there, I had no idea what a fretless bass could do until i listened to Jaco, and Percy Jones from Brand X, just amazing. And thats just the tip of the ice burg, so much great "bass" music out there.:bassist:

7. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    Prestia is freaking awesome!

8. I've never hooked up to an online sevice to download a cd of single tunes but I may have to now.
    Which one you guys use?

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    holy crap awesome link!

for the record, rocco wasn't the original bass player in ToP

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Who was then? I think Rocco played on East Bay Grease, their first release. If so, for all practical purposes he and Garabaldi were the backbone at the start.

11. Per your recomendations:

Got in Thunder and that is one great collection of talent. It is amazing what those guys do with a bass.

Thanks again

12. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I use iTunes for my single song downloads. 99 cents a track and they have quite a library.