1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got my first bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disc, Nov 18, 2006.

1. :D

MIM LEFTY Fender Jazz, black. $280 used, with only a few dings!

Im lovin it so far! I cant even get it into tune yet (yeah, Im that bad :rollno: ) but Im still having fun.

I got a few Q's for ya about it though. 1) what do that 3 knobs do? The first one does not make a difference in sound until it clicks, then all the hissing from the amp goes away.
    2) When I fret a note, sometimes it buzzes. The sound isnt coming from the nut, so whats the problem (guessing its me :p )?

Now I just have to learn how to play...

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    You've gotten yourself a very nice beginners bass! :) Keep practicing and just messin around having fun!

Ill take a swing at what those knobs do, im guessing you would have 2 volume knobs (one for each pickup) and a tone control? As for your tuning problems, i spent a good 40 minutes trying to tune up my Ibanez last week after putting some new strings on it. I cant even tune well after a year of playing :p Dont worry, we all have to start somewhere.

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Yes, the two knobs closest to the pickguard are volume, the closer one being for the neck pickup and the other for the bridge pickup. The reason you hear sound from your amp when one pickup is turned down is because of single coil hum. That's the type of pickups that are in your bass- single coils. Pickups by nature give off unwanted sound because of the power of the magnet. To counteract this, the two pickups are wound (wire wrapped around a magnet- the basic idea behind a pickup) opposite each other. That means when the two pickups are at the same volume setting they will cancel out each other's magnetic hum, and when one pickup is higher or lower than the other you'll hear the hum again. The buzz of fretted notes- does it make the same sound unplugged? It's probably just fret buzz, which is the string hitting against other frets when it vibrates. The neck and/or bridge might need adjusting and you might want to use a softer plucking technique.

4. Congrat on your first bass !!

Hope you get as much enjoyment from playing as I do !!

5. Toneonbass

Toneonbass

Jul 1, 2006
    disc golfer?

6. two closest to the pickguard? I actually only get the hissing when I turn the last knob (farthest away from the pickguard) all the way off so it clicks. It always hisses when its even slightly on, and I cant tell a difference in sound besides the hissing.

My fingers hurt :D

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Having fun? :D

8. good for you and nice bass. have fun.:hyper: :bassist:

9. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

NO Pics, No Bass::D

10. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Congratulations and welcome to the winning team!

It takes a while once you begin playing to get the fretting down so that notes don't buzz. That is a normal side effect for a beginner and the way to fix it is to practice (which I know you don't want to hear :) )

Do you have an instructor or take lessons, or are you going to try to learn it on your own?

11. Congrats Wish you the best.

12. For now I am just going to be teaching myself, but will be getting lessons once I learn the basics. :bassist:

Taking it to a shop nearby tomorrow to have him give the bass a good tune-up, and so he can teach me some upkeep stuff, like how to change strings, tuning etc. (the strings that came on are really greasy, ewww >:p )

Pics coming once I find my camera :hyper:

Edit: as for the buzzing, I need to be right in the middle of the fret with a ton of pressure so it doesn't buzz, maybe the shop guy can mess with the action a bit or somthing

13. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok. When your tone knob, the one you're talking about, is all the way up, it lets the complete signal of the pickup go through to the amp. Turning it down rolls off the higher frequencies, which do create some hissing noise, so the higher you have it set the more hissing will come through, but the clearer your sound will be. I personally like the tone knob just a little bit above its lowest setting. Then you can get some finger and string noise but it doesn't sound brittle.

14. if it isn't the action, then don't worry. i think everyone was like that when they first started, haha, your fingers will get stronger as you use them more. if you're rich enough i'd recommend getting 'Bass guitar for dummies'. Very useful book :)

15. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    As i said, I've been playing for a year and I havn't had one single lesson in my life. People are amazed when i tell them I taught myself! Im having a great time stuffing around by myself, picking up new styles, techniques, and knowledge as I progress. Stick around these forums, read lots of posts. I'm suprised at how much I've learnt just from flicking through all the threads!

Having that said, enjoy your lessons! Enjoy playing bass! :)

:bassist:

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    When I first started playing bass I was concerned I was fretting wrong, because it seemed to take an immense amount of pressure to make the note sound clearly without buzzing and fading out. Your fingers will strengthen up in no time, and you'll develop your calluses too.

17. Congratulations!! You also may want to invest in a tube of Super Glue. You can use this on the tips of your fingers until you build up callouses of the proper thickness. It is also good stuff to keep for gigs... you never know when you will get a cut on your finger but HAVE to play a show. Enjoy your new "passion". :)

18. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow, I gotta try that some day. :ninja:

19. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Grats! Enjoy the wonderful instrument of Electric Bass :). Also, don't worry about fret buzz. Most of the time its the players technique and it fades with time. Just remember you don't have to pluck extremely aggressive and to always press down on the fretboard closest to the next fret. That said, have fun!

20. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON

:eek: wow, i've never heard that before...sounds like a good idea though