got my first fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Jun 23, 2004.

1. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    It's a cool vintage white Jazz copy from Hohner. I recorded this little sampler with it today. Let me know what ya think...I think she's a keeper.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:ninja: where are the picts
  3. Nice.

I like hearing a fretless being played without loads of slides and overdone vibrato.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love the placement of the place markers on the neck. Beautiful!!!!!
  5. That was a cool little ditty. :) I like the bass man!
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congratulations, Flywheel! I'm glad no one else beat you to that at Bass Northwest. You've got that intonation thing down pretty well considering the fact that this is your first fretless! Sounds like you're using roundwounds, is that right? BTW, the headstock works real well IMO. Enjoy!
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey Flywheel,

How much did that fretless go for? Was it new or used? Were any mods done to it? It sounds great. Nice find!

8. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Thank you all for the feedback and kind words.

No...those are actually flatwounds that came on the bass and I plan to leave those on until I use it for a live gig and then I'm putting TI flats on her. I really like the headstock on it too! Thanks.

DGCE, the bass cost me $200 and as far as I can tell is completely stock, although it IS a used bass so I cannot be sure. It seems to me that this bass was probably made in the 80's. I'm really happy with it.
  9. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS

You know when I purchased the bass, I thought it was just a completely unmarked fretboard except for the side dots and then when I got it I noticed the place markers on the is really helping me out to have those since this is my first fretless. I've been playing bass for 13 years so I suppose that helps me find my around the neck but I was actually worried (before I got my hands on the bass) that I wasn't going to be able to play this baby!
  10. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
  11. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    sounsd hella good.. :bassist:
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sweet bass, sweet groove. Can't say a bad thng about it!