Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my first fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I won an MTD Kingston 5 on eBay last week, and I finally got it today. I came home to see a nice big box (along with a couple smaller boxes that had strings, new wax for my warwick, and a new 12ax7 tube) and had an instant grin. It was in a big box covering the case it came in.

After unpacking it, I was surprised at how nice it looks in person. Body is beautiful. The neck is smooth and fast. It's a bit wider than my warwick, but not as thick. The action is nice and low.

I ran up to my amp and cab, and plugged in right away. This bass sounds amazing.. especially for $275. lol. Without even trying, it has the "mwah" sound. The tone is full of mids. I wish it had an eq though so I could add some more lows, but I'm not too worried about it for now. The bass is a dream to play. My intonation is pretty damn good too in my opinion. Maybe I'll pick up a preamp down the line. :)

I'm bringing it to my next band practice, and I'll see how it mixes with my band, and how hear how well it cuts through two guitars.

My only concern is that the nut on the truss rod is stripped, and I have some slop in the low C-D area in my B-string (not too bad, but it can be noticed when I'm sustaining a note). What should I do about this?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations, have fun learning intonation. :eek: As always on talkbass, no pics, no bass. :p

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats, i have a 4 string version of that. Good buy.

4. congrats...fretless is a blast...and playing with people is a good way of forcing yourself to develop good intonation.

As far as the stripped truss rod...see if your local music shoppe can source you a new nut and change it out for you...

I sold a bass once, because I couldn't get to the truss rod (it was slightly bent and the nut was jammed against the side of the cavity...

i liked the bass...but the relief was too much and it was getting to me...

5. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wow very nice, some of the best looking pics i've seen of kingston basses. Hope you enjoy it, post up some sound clips if possible. Now i really want one, a fretless kingston is about #2 on my GAS list.

7. I wish I hadn't thrown away my mic a while ago. lol. I'll see what I can do at my band practice since the guitarist made a studio for us to play in. Maybe I can make a few clips that way.