1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got my first G&L ... oh boy!!!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Mastermold, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Just got it today from an ebay auction I won last week. It's a 2009 USA L-2000, alder body, tobacco sunburst with matching headstock and (didn't know this when I bid) it's got the jazz 1.5" neck to boot. :bassist:

IMG001881.

The action is a bit high for my taste and it looks like the saddles need to be slightly adjusted side to side but I'm assuming I'll be able to adjust all that when I change the strings. TI flats sound good on these? The tone is just incredible, I'm thinking this just may be my new #1!!!!! :D

Why didn't you guys tell me G&L basses were so good!?

2. Excellent! Congratulations!

Let it settle in at your house for a few days before making any major adjustments. Let's the wood move to the climate. There is no side to side adjustment on the saddles and the saddle lock screw might be pushing them toward the E string a little, which is normal. Most of them are off just a tad. As to TI Flats on an L-2000... Superlative sound. They're a great combination with the MFD pickups.

Umm... You been under a rock someplace? :D

Ken...

3. Okay so I tried the allen wrench they gave me in that side hole which I thought was the saddle lock, but turning it doesn't loosen anything and (of course) the saddles don't respond either as the tension isn't relieved.

What am I doing wrong?

4. Thanks, Ken! Yeah the saddles are shifted towards the E, but I'm wondering if they'll center out a bit when I lower them? The bridge and everything look straight, the strings seem to line up with the pole pieces, etc. I've never worked with one of these bridges before so I'm feeling pretty lame at the moment. :help:

LOL! Yeah well I've just been content with my Rics and Fenders -- but the L-2000 ... whoa!

5. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Welcome to the family!

6. Put the TI flats on today -- nice!! :D

The don't growl like the stock rounds (D'Addario's I believe) but are very warm and full, and I tend to prefer flats for that reason. I spent some time today adjusting the saddles and playing with all the tone options. Fantastic bass, I'll be playing this one a long time!

7. Thank you! Wish I'd joined sooner! :bassist: