Got my first rig but I like it!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mofungo, May 6, 2002.

1. mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I took the plunge today.

While it's certainly not everyone's choice of a rig, I am pleased with my purchase. I picked up a MIM Fender P in Midnight Wine and a Fender Bassman 25. I just got home with them and have been noodling around a bit. It took me a while over the past few weeks to decide. I probably played every brand of bass in my price range and listened to so many amps that I'm worn out.

For the money I spent, and for the purposes that I intend to use it, I'm pretty happy with it.

2. Attention: new bass buyers!!! Follow this person's example!!!

Hey mofungo, it sounds like you did the right thing and ended up with a good rig. Have fun!
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Hey man, congrats on you brand new rig. Its nice when you have gear you can call your own. You can't go wrong with a fender either. MIM basses are very upgradable also... you may not want to do it.. but it is an option of course. I've played some MIM fenders that are just amazing.. and since you did the smart thing and played several basses before you bought, you probably picked a good one :).. again congrats.. now how about some pics?
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Good job.:)

You did the right thing, and you will be happier with your choices because of it. And you can't go wrong with an MIM Fender for a first bass.

Congrats, and have fun with your new stuff.
  5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Great amp great bass great buy anything else to say I think not.
  6. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    what does MIM stand for?
  7. Irie01, MIM stands for Made in Mexico,
    Fender also have MIA Made in America
    and MIJ Made in Japan.

It depends on the range, which then determines the pricing. IT is generally understood that the cheaper instruments are MIM, therefore these ar assumed to be of the lowest quality. However, several discussions elsewhere on this board have shown that due to Fender's ad-hoc quality control, you can get an absolutely brilliant MIM Fender, and a not so good American one - yet the American one can cost double!

Mofungo - well done on your purchase, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your buy. And well done on your approach, that is the best way to do it. I doubt you'll be disappointed, I just bought a MIM Jazz fretless to add to my collection - my first fretless, and although I do have a MIA PRecision and Spector basses, the Jazz plays and sounds great. As someone else said, they are readily upgradeable, there are lots of 'hot' pickups upgrades out ther and new bridges etc. (I'm already looking in to Seymour Duncan Basslines pickupss!!)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, mofungo! Nice bass, and even nicer amp! A lot of guys start off with a setup that is not nearly that good.:)