1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

got my gear, now just trying to get a good sound help apappreciated

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bomaye, May 6, 2015.

1. Bomaye

Bomaye

Jun 6, 2014
    So i finally got my rig. An ampeg 500 portaflex head. A hartke xl 4x10. My main bass atm is a squire jazz cv bass woth dimarzio ultra jazz pups. Now my problem is i dont exactly know how to work all the functions on the ampeg. Everything i do makes it sound too treble-y. I enjoy treble but i want to have a fatter more fuller sound since i play in a 3 piece band. Anyone familiar with the head can help me ge met a fuller sound? Or suggestions for good pedals that will add to the tone?

2. Does your cab have a tweeter? Turn it down?

Other than that, I suggest you set your compressor at noon, and then bring up the gain until you see the red light flash a bit on your harder hits. Then I would play with the EQ. Depending on your tonal goals, setting the mid selector down to 1 or 2 and then boosting, or maybe cutting 3-5 may help you get where you get where you need to go.

3. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Turning the treble down on your instrument will have a dramatic effect.
    Don't be afraid to cut it 30%, 50%, 80% until you get what you want.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I used to have a PF 350. As I recall, the treble was usually cut quite a bit, and the mids boosted. Also, with a 410, the listeners on-axis (directly in front of the speakers) will hear the mids and treble, but those off at 45 degrees or more will hear very little but the lows. Boosting the low end will only accentuate that.

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I suggest rolling down the Mids for in home use. Bass & Treble at least 1/2 way up. When with the band then crank the Mids enough to keep up with the drummer. Just my opinion of course but mids at home always sound too harsh to me. I like Growl so the treble needs to be turned up for my taste.
    Bottom line is don't be afraid to turn the knobs and experiment. You should be able to find a sound that works for you with that Great Rig. It will be easier in a Live with the Band situation IME. GL

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you reacting to your tone alone at home, or how your tone sits in the mix with the whole band playing? Beware of getting a great bedroom sound that turns to mud when the whole band is playing.

As has been said, you can use the controls on your bass, too, to control what the amp is working with. For instance, try your neck pickup on full, your bridge pickup at half, and your tone control (on the bass) down at 3/4 or half. On the amp, push the bass up to 7 or 8 (like 2 or 3 o'clock), keep the mids at noon, roll off the treble some, maybe to 3 or 4 (maybe 10:00 or so). See how you like that. Just play with it till you get what you want.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a PF800 and I usually turn treble down to at least 10:00, sometimes 9:00.