Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got my geddy lee bass yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, May 3, 2001.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    it feels GREAT! I plugged and played at the store before I took it home to make sure the setup was right. Sounded great.

I do not have my amp at the house at the moment so I can't plug and play there.

Someone mentioned the other day that the tuners on the GL were not that great. I will agree. way too much play in them. anyone know of a quality direct replacement tuner? i really don't want to have new holes drilled.

other than that, it's great.

2. Congats on the new Bass.

I've been scanning the s/h ads here in the UK for months looking for one of those.

3. I've been using hipshot tuners and have been very happy with them. I'm not sure if they make a direct replacement for your bass or not, however.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could get Schaller direct replacements for that bass. I don't know the model but I'll look for it & let you know!!!! Great bass. I wish I never sold mine. :(

Got it!!! I visited the ALLPARTS website & the part # is TK 881 & the disc of the tuners is: TK 881 Schaller BMFL Keys Nickel CBS FenderĀ® Style 20:1. You could go to any dealer & order them. The list price is $78 for the set.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Congrats Acacia!

Thanks for the 411 Nino. I think I am going to replace the tuners on both of mine. It's definitely an area where they went cheap on this bass.

I was doing a setup on my new GL last night, and it was so cool seeing the FEB 01 date on the neck. My other GL is stamped on the body, JUN 00 I believe.

I had a set of TI Flats lying around, so I threw them on my new GL(my active one has Lo Riders). The flats play like a dream on it, though I must admit, I'm not accustomed to the sound of flats on my basses. I'll give them some time and see how I like it. If not, I have a couple sets of RS66LD's lying around that are up to it.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I emailed Stewmac about tuner replacements and this was their suggestion:

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Check with Stewmack... oh, you did.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    congrats acacia!!
    i want a geddy lee too, but it's the same old story, i live in italy and if i want something particular i have to pay GOLD...
    green envy is killing me

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks acacia! wonderful fender site, much better than the american one!! unluckly the geddy lee is listed for more than the equivalent of 1000 us $...

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    dude, maybe someone here can get one for you and ship it over? not sure of the rates though.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the new bass... I have one small question of my own. Why doesn't anyone on here ever have a Fender Jaco Pastorius bass?
    All I've seen is the Geddy Lee and all...

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    actually, i love the look of the jaco bass, but the price was a bit higher that I want to go. But since I seem to be buying only jazz basses lately, it's not out of the question.

i also wanna try out the stu hamm urge ii and the marcus miller. no one seems to stock them regularly, so my chance on trying them is very limited.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I now see the light! hehe

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, last I can recall, There were 2 wersions. A USA Custom Shop & a USA production model.

The USA Custom shops came acouple of ways:
    Reliced to look beat up or new
    Fretted or fretless.

the USA production came:
    Fretted or fretless.

I've played a reliced fretless & it was sweet & expensive. I also played the production fretless & it plaed awesome also, but the custom shop played alot nicer. The production model was alot less expensive.

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a Jaco-fretted. One of the local shops had one in stock and I played it just on a lark. It was really cool with no pickguard and that's what caught my eye. I kept going back and playing that bass over several months to see if it kept my interest and it did. As it turns out a guy had just sold one on Ebay and in his write up he mentioned that he had two. I wrote him and expressed interest in the other if he wanted to sell it. He did and I got it for $850 in absolute mint condition with all the case goodies and the high-end tweed case. It was even better than the one that was at the local shop. I soon after played a pre-CBS Jazz bass and I though that the Jaco was every bit as good if not better.

Oh, I played another Geddy Lee at one of the Mars stores here in Dallas. This time I played it through an SWR900 with the Henry the 8th cab. Schweet! Sounded just like a Jazz should sound and $629 with no case. Although the slap guy that I handed it to didn't like it at all. What does he know anyway?

16. Congrats!

I have been looking at the GL bass of late.I think my next Fender will be dat one! :D

17. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I finally got a real chance to plug it in and play it yesterday here at the house. It is noticeably lighter than my MIA jazz and neck much thinner. The tone is not as "assey" as my MIA. Certainly a Geddy sound to it, crisp, airy.

The action on this thing is wonderful. I don't like the fact that the pickguard has to be removed (or routed) to adjust the neck, but since I don't work on my own basses, I guess it's not my problem. ;)

And I don't think the pickguard can be replaced with a standard jazz pickguard without drilling new holes. screwhole setup appears different.

Overall, I really like it, especially since I got those darned Fender stock strings off of it. I have no regrets on trading in my MIA P bass.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cool, Sean, I thought that you would like it, and I'm happy to see that you do.

Taking off those Fender strings is the first thing that I had to do to mine, too. Yuck!

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I put a white pearl p/g on my active GL, so a direct replacement should work fine. The only difference is one hole, but it will be covered by the new p/g anyway. It's the one right in the center.