Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my GK RB400 combo today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have just recieved my RB400 2x10 combo and I must say I am quite impressed. I spent about an hour playing with it in the basement and this thing has got a beautiful tone with my skyline through it. The 2 10s actually give me much better low end than I got from my backline 115. The tone is very true to the sound of the bass but has a kind of growl and punch added in, articulate clear tone thanks to the 10 inch speakers. I highly reccomend this amp. Now all I need to do is find a 4x10 cabinet to add to it, preferably one with a tweeter.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats because backline leave alot to be desired. Its like comparing a decent car, eg a camry, to a ferrari. theres just no competition.

anyway glad your happy with the new amp. GK are sweet amps.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Congrats! Did you get the newer 400RBIII 280 watt version? I myself upgraded from a 400RBII 1x15 to a 1001RB 2x10 combo to go with a RBH1x15 cab I had. With the 400RB you will have no use for the GK 4x10RBH cab (it's an 800 watt cab), but look into the 4x10 SBX cab (no tweet).This only applies if you want to keep your rig all GK.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It is the new version with 280 watts, in fact I believe it was actually made just a couple weeks ago. I was thinking about the 4x10 SBX. Is there any way to add a tweeter to a combo or a cabinet?

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The SBX cabinet is an 8ohm cabinet only configuration. It is unclear to me if the Combo is rated at 8 or 4ohms, I am guessing 8 (280@4 ohms, 180@8ohms, 150 to internal speakers, what the hell does that mean?). You might want to check on that. If it's 8 then get the SBX so you can get the 280 it's rated at 4ohms. Do you want to stay all GK? There are better 410's out there for the money, or step up to the RBH models, pricey, but they sound better. RAMBLE, RAMBLE, RAMBLE.

GOOD Luck.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    To add the tweet you will also have to add a crossover to keep mids and bass out. The 4x10 RBH cab would not be good for you due to wattage limitations of your amp. The cab would just woof alot on you (underpower). Meaning if you turn it up loud the amp is not be strong enough (will lack headroom to push cab)This is why I went with the 1001RB 2x10 combo. Before you start going crazy ask yourself how loud do I need to be? What kind of venue am I playing in? How many pieces in my band. The 400RBII is a great amp and can be used in a lot of situations but the bottom line is don't bring a knife to a gun battle! That is if it's gonna be a gun battle! Try to find a used 4x10RBS cab which is rated at 200 watts, that should fit the bill perfectly for you needs.

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I can't seem to find the RBS cabinets. Has GK stopped making them?

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes they have been discontinued. that's why I said go used for the RBS cab.