got my Goliath SR.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 28, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    aside from me needing a helper to get it out of my car and up/down stairs...this thing is the complete sh!t.

even my roommate said it sounded tons better after playing it for less than 3 minutes, and it was running real quiet.

the bass is deeper than my previous stack, it's tighter, WAY louder, etc etc etc.

best bass cab i've ever played. wheeeeeee.

the only bad part is that due to its size, its definitely a "big gig" only rig. oh well...i've got a plan for a small rig involving some avatar speakers and a clarus. muhahahaha.
  2. Hey Jason

As you probably gathered from the other thread, I too have your old stack. I fully agree that the Goliath Snr is THE business when it comes to sound, but unfortunately I had to take the convenience option. If I could stomach driving a van and could employ a full-time grunt to shift the thing up and down the stairs to my apartment I'd be seriously tempted, but I can't see either of those happening any time soon.

Enjoy yourself, mate!

3. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA

the Sr. takes up the same floor space as most any other 4-10 out there......and has tilt back it's easy to move.

4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I don't find my Sr. to be that much trouble to move around. They made it easy to carry with the casters and the three handles. I use it for all my gigs except for really small rooms, in which case I use my Jr. Then for the big gigs I stack 'em.
    You will find the Sr. isn't that much of a problem to deal with.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the only bad part about moving it is getting in and out of my car. i've got a hatch with a pretty high back ledge, so i've gotta lift it at least 3 ft and slide it in on it's back. easy if i have someone to help me, but i wouldn't want to have to do it alone. the cool thing is that it actually FITS in my 88 VW Scirocco with the back seat folded down, with a decent amount of room to spare. i'd definitely be able to fit my rack, the cab, and my basses in my car no problem.

plus it would be serious overkill for 90% of my non-Phat Phunktion gigs.

i'm off to go play it some more. :D
  6. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Not really. For the amount of sound it will put out it is fairly compact and doesn't look that imposing onstage. And, you will always know that you can slay your gu$%#r player at will!
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    im not sure how the handles and casters (if any) are placed on the Sr... but i have a megoliath and i can move it anywhere except a flight of stairs by myself. This includes onto a stage and into my little pickup truck (not lifted) I'm a pretty skinny guy too...

does the SR have tilt-back casters and/or those plastic rails that allow you to slide it around?
    If so, i would imagine that if you could lean one side against your car, pick the other side up and slide it in... works for my situation.

oh, and the one downside.... if you want a cabinet cover, which IMO is required to play in bars or keep your cab inside your house, SWR is gona charge you up wards of $70 for it. That's not so cool if you ask me
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it has the casters but not the slidey-rails. my cars hatch has a rubber seal all around it (that i just replaced) that would get TRASHED if i tried to load the cab in there like that.

and when the majority of my gigs are small jazz gigs, the sr is definitely overkill. my peavey TKO is more than loud enough for the majority of my non-PP gigs.

for the cover - i'm trying to decide whether to get the tuki nylon one or the padded one. the cab will probably spend the majority of it's life in my bands van so maybe the padded one would be best - but my other cabs still look really good after 2 years of road use and van loading so maybe just the nylon would be ok.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I got this case with my cabinet, custom made and fits like a glove for my senior, or my henry. The guy I bought the rig off of said this company custom makes cases for a great price, I can get more info if anyone is interested.

PS., Congrats on your senior purchase! IMO, the best cab made!
  10. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    hey. Warwick5s get a furniture moving blanket lay it over the edge and lean your cab there and hoist away. Look ma no damage.
  11. I have the padded Tuki for my Henry and it works great. Certainly worth the $90 or so that it cost me. Granted, I move my own gear so it isn't thrown around alot but it still protects the cab from bumps and bruises that eventually happen from hitting doorjams etc.
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Jason. I also have a heavy 410 cabinet. My BXT 410 weighs in at 130lbs... I and it won't fit into the backseat of my car. So i gotta put it in the trunk... only thing i can tell you is.. start working out :)

I have to lift mine a good 3 1/2 feet to put it in the trunk.. of course being tall and what not helps that.. good luck with your new gear :D+