Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my guitar!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Well, I woke up this evening to may new guitar!

I got a cherry red Epiphone SG special.

It's really sweet looking, now I just have to learn how to play it. :D

Are there any good sites that with lessons teaching how to play?

If anyone is interested in pics, I'll get some taken shortly. I need to take new pics of my basses anyway. :D

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Congrats on the new guitar. The only resource I know of was the chord charts on OLGA - several pages of chords and how they can be used. Not sure if it's still there as I haven't checked it for a while!

3. I got a book when I placed the order, 5500 guitar chords. So I've got something to get me started. But I am serioulsy retarded when it comes to guitar theory.

I think I'll be ok with chords, it's the rest that I'm clueless about.

4. cool man, SG's are cool. but not as cool as my Dean MLX7 :D

playin guitar is a piece of cake, bass is the real deal.;)

5. Nice guitar chump, how is the balance on that thing?

here's mine, from the Epiphone website. Mine is Cherry red though, not olive green.

[​IMG]

This is the color I wanted originally, but it was no longer stocked. :(

6. the balance sux. but I use it mostly for recording or writing songs. I'm usually sitting down for that. but, it sure looks cool. :)
    that green SG is sweet.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I really don't understand all the complaints about SG neck heaviness. I picked up a Gibson SG-I in a trade a few weeks ago, and mine balances great! Maybe I just got lucky...

8. Ghaos, congrats on the SG. I always liked them.

Chump, that's a nice axe you got there too.

I just bought a Telecaster copy a few weeks ago. Do you think maybe someone is controlling our minds and trying to pull us away from our true bass calling? :(

I wonder how many other of us here are doing this; playing bass for a long time and now starting to doodle with a guitar?

Mike J.

9. I really never had an urge to play guitar until a few weeks ago. Maybe there is some unseen force that is driving us away from the bass :eek:

Heavy Duty, My SG has pretty good balance, it weighs like half as much as my P bass. Maybe the little weaklings that play the toy exclusively might find them heavy, but us real musicians :D (j/k) it's childs play.

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Congrats, SG's are nice guitars. Ive been playing alot of guitar lately too, dont know what it is, but its almost as fun as bass.

11. Yeah I like it. Not nearly as fun as bass, but I'm still learning.

Now, I just need to find a pickguard for it.

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, likin that dual humbucker action there

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    nice guitars, guys. here's mine:

Eko Cobra!

[​IMG]

but mine is all black. SD P90 and bigsby style tremolo.
    pic is taken for the Eko website

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I saw an Epi like yours at the store last night - sweet! Enjoy!

For pickguards, you may want to try WD Music Products - they have a SG Junior pickguard I'm considering for my SG-I, and I noticed they had other SG models, too. Maybe try direct from Epi?

15. Dude, I have the exact same guitar, color and everything. Isn't it great? I absolutely love this guitar, and it looks so sweet too. I still suck though, don't know many chords.

16. are you talking to me or Chaos?
    yeah, the ML is a bad git. with it strung through that big body, it sustains forever. :)

17. I'm talking to you man. I love this thing it looks so cool and plays really well. I'm also the only guy I know with a seven string guitar.

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I really like the classic SG look.The black pickguard with the cherry red finish.

19. i played a friends Gibson SG once, and to this day it is still my dream guitar.

then a few months ago i had to buy a bass instead, and man is it ever fun. I love busting out the solos on guitar but there's something about anchoring my band on bass that's so much more enjoyable.

figured i'd let you know the conversion is working the other way too