Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my hands on a fretless Tacoma Thunderchief five...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 17, 2006.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... for a little while, anyway.

My local Guitar Center just too delivery of a brand new production fretless fiver, and I had a chance to play around with it before the wankers chewed it up.

Very nice! I still prefer my fretted version for everyday play, but I could see where a fretless ABG could be useful if it wasn't for my tin ear.

Pricey, too - $1500, which seemed on the far side of outrageous to me.

Side note: I received my new Pimental Feedback Buster for my Thunderchief, and it fits well. (My new one doesn't have a pickup yet, so I can't comment on how well it tames the howl.) These are custom made in the wood of your choice - I picked rosewood to match the fretboard - and are reasonably priced at $30 delivered. Tacoma owners, check them out!

Custom Guitars by Lawrence Pimentel - Feedback Busters for Tacoma

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks so much for the link. Lately my 'chief has been howling something fierce when plugged in, and I've been working the EQ like crazy to try to tame it.

Fretless Tacoma fiver sounds like a lot of fun, but $1500??? You gotta be kidding. The Godin A series fretless are awfully fun, BTW, and the ebony fretboard is outstanding for fretless. Nice tone, and no feedback, as well.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, $1500 must be close to full retail! They're nuts, not that I'm in the market anyway.

I've always admired the Godin A4 and A5...

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Was the fretless Tacoma unlined or did it have "ghost" lines? I've seen examples of both, and can't find out if lines are an unlisted option or not.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This one was an unlined board - a sweet player from what I could tell in my few minutes with it.

Something else about Thunderchiefs and ABGs in general that I don't think is common knowledge among non-owners - projection. They may not seem overly loud to the player, but step back ten feet and you'll usually notice a big difference!

6. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Kennesaw GA.
    How much do those "busters" cost?

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    See the first post - $30 at that time.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I paid $950 for my four string fretted when they first came out. I had to wait 6 months for a case, they were shipping with gig bags before the case was available. First one I ever played I bought. It's the only bass that has ever made that much of an impression on me.

$1500 for a five string fretless 6 years later? Seems fair to me. Made in USA with the quality of parts and luthiery that goes into it, it's easily worth that IMO.

9. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    $1500 sounds like a great deal to me... I paid a bit more. But I bought my fretless five when they were extremely hard to find... after a two year search(then had to have it shipped to Japan)

I have been using TI JazzFlats on it and it is a most wonderful sounding bass.

I bought it for the sound of "wood" and it delivers.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but considering I bought a brand new CB105C in case for $769 last year, $1500 seems pretty ludicrous.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The CB205C has a list price of $1300. I've seen it on sale for $950 on line in a google search. I wonder what kind of electronics the $1500 bass described has? The Fishman Prefix Plus is a $2-300 upgrade in price over the LR Baggs Tacoma preamp, and in my experience it's worth every penny and more.

Just because you got or saw an unusually low price doesn't mean that's the standard price now.

in 1998, I got my 5 string Fender USA Jazz at a blowout sale for about half it's MSRP, probably because the unusual color didn't sell well. Does that mean that all Fender Standard Jazz V basses are worth half their MSRP new?

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1. When I started this thread one year ago, the typical online price for a CB105C with no electronics was around $900. Yes, I got a good deal.

2. The $1500 fretless at GC had no electronics and the cheap HSC. IMO I could have seen it marked $1000 - but $1500?

I stand by my comments.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive got the same bass as HeavyDuty and paid a similar price for it. ($780 IIRC)

I still think they are worth $1500 though.