Got my Highway 1 P bass in.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I must say the Highway 1 P bass is even better than I expected it to be. I took a bit of a chance and ordered the bass online as no store where I live carries them. Looks like I got a good one.

#1. The Finish.
    I love the finish. I have always loved satin/matte finishes and this one looks great to me. I got the 3 tone sunburst. Its cool, its already looks like its 20 years old.

#2 The neck.
    This bass may not have the graphite rods the other MIA models do, but it is far better than any MIM bass I have played. The rosewood fingerboard has a nice tight grain unlike the three MIM basses I have owned. The neck is also not as thick as the MIM P bass. This came as a surprised as I was expecting the same chunky neck as the MIMs I have tried. Even though I am used to a Jazz neck this P bass neck feels good.

#3 The tone.
    This bass has dam good tone. It has a woody tone thx to the fact that the natural vibration of the wood is not muted by coats of heavy lacquer. This also makes this bass lighter in weight. I can't express how happy I am with the tone. I got it out of the box and plugged it into my Ampeg B100R and BAM! All that great blues tone I have been searching for was right there. It can only get better when my new set of TI flats come in the mail. The pickup sounds good for now but I love to experiment with pickups so I know I will end up trying others but the stock one sounds plenty good.

#4 The hardware
    The only thing I dislike about this bass is the tuners. They look and feel just like the poor tuners on my MIM basses. I guess we know which parts are MIM don't we! The bridge seems to be good and I expect I will not change it. Its got ridges all along where the string rests so you can make adjustments in string spacing. First time I have seen that kind of bridge /shrug

Overall I am quite happy with this bass and while I know some people dislike the Hwy 1 simply because it has a mix of MIA and MIM parts, that really does not matter to me. It plays good, it sounds good, therefore I declare it good :bassist:
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I thought the finish didn't effect thoe tone o_0... I may be wrong.

But hey, congrats on the new bass.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

that's all that really matters , isn't it ??
    congratulations on a fine bass , and the sense to know what works for you ... :D
  4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I own a H.W. 1 J-BASS,and it rocks,I changed the tuners to hipshots and added a badass bridge and it plays as well as any regular U.S. Fender.
    Sorry to say I was'nt impressed with the p-bass model and I played a few of them while working at G.C.,they seemed to lack the punch I expect from a p-bass.
    I had a little back and forth with another T.B member about it being the EXACT same as a MIM. ,but I dis-agreed and he went on about this and that,but as long as I know the difference its all that matters.
    I believe they are great alternate to the 900.00 american standard,matter of fact mine plays better than most american standards I've played(it pays to be bass guitar tech,you can get a mediocre bass to play good if its at all possible)
    P.S. get a frett level on your p-bass and you'll see how much lower the action will go.
  5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    congrats on your new bass, those are nice ones. I was just playing one today in the store. I agree those are great playing necks