Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got My L-2500 USA - The Good AND The Bad!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

As some of you know from a previous post, I bought a used L-2500 from a dealer (Bass Palace). For background purposes, I saw this one on thier site. It was up on their site described in "excellent condition", no OHSC (but a real nice, high-end gig bag), and no orginal paperwork (not that I care about that). I cut a deal with him to trade my 97 MIA P-Bass (with OHSC) this is in truly excellent condition + $300. The G&L does has a flamed maple top option ($550 retail upgrade option), so that's a plus!

I just got it last night and had a few hours to examine it and tinker with it. Initial impression upon taking the G&L out of the box was disappointment. There were some moderate belt scratches on the back, a few moderate scratches on the sides and bottom and the finish on the top of the bass has some EXTREMELY MINOR dulling/super fine surface scratches. It also has a minor to moderate ding on the top. Tuners were fine (but dulled from use), headstock, frets, neck, etc all are fine. I should also mention that the battery/compartment cover, screws and screw holes were in fine shape (no stripped heads or stripped screw wholes, etc). The compartment is a bird's nest of wires and I'm not fond of how the pre-amp just sits out there, not screwed down, etc. Interestingly, it shipped with all of the strings loose, is this normal???

Well, I tuned her up. Strings were fairly dead. Using the knobs and switches, I immediately notices that 2 out of 3 pots were scratchy, but functional. All switches functioned fine.

Now here is where my frown started turning upside-down. The bass felt "right" in my hands from moment one! It plays like "butta". Feels much like my P but even better and I love the different tones that that I could get from this thing!!! Action is near perfect (could be a hair lower), no frett buzz ANYWHERE on the neck, etc. Damn it plays nice! It's a bit heavy (about 10 lbs), but I can live with that! I ordered a hard shell case for it and am now looking at string options (TI Powerbase, D'A XL Super Long Scales, etc). It really needs new strings (have no idea what's on there now but there are fairly dead). I'm taking her to practice tonight and will let you know how she does there (I'm sure fine). I still think that I got a fair deal, but I didn;t steal it considering the condition (you tell me what you think). Anyway here are some pics!

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That buttery playability doesn't come all that often. The other niggles can be fixed with a good professional set-up, polishing, new pots, etc. But if the playability and feel there, the bass ain't worth it.

The mojo you feel with that bass makes it worth fixing up.

3. Quadzilla

Great way to describe it Dincrest! I felt it right away. It was unmistakable! It really just seemed to fit me soooo well. It plays soooo damn smooth. This more than made up for the initial disappointment that I had when taking it out of the box for the first time and examining it. This is not a bass that was just on display, occasionally played in somebody's bedroom. This thing was played and played often, that's for sure. I think that it gives it a degree of character, but I'd still prefer it a little cleaner, newer looking. Oh well, she plays damn nice and that's REALLY what counts! Thanks man!

4. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    Great you like your G&L. That is my next bass, a L 2500. One thing always confuses me - why do people sell instruments that came with a OHSC without the case? what happened to it? Did they sell it by itself? "Oh, gee, I have a Squier P Bass so I think I'll buy a $100 G&L OHSC to put it in."

5. Quadzilla

Wish I knew what happened to the case, but I won this killer case on Ebay--> Click for Case for a great price. I'm told that the standard molded cases that come with the G&L's (and Fender's) are just "ok" and don't hold up to much abuse. This is a wood and tolex case that looks much like the optional G&G case ($80 upgrade charge) that you can get with a G&L and that used to ship with the old Fenders.

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    Thats a damn pretty bass, totally worth the effort of fixing up.

I tried out an L2000 last week, I'm ordering mine right away(I'm lefty, special orders are my way of life)
    The necks on the G&L feel like P-bass's but, you know, comfortable like an old lazyboy chair.

7. Blueburst, my favorite.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You can order an L-2000 with a #8 neck which is very J like if you're not down with the big P neck.

9. Quadzilla

Wonder why mine has a steel plate on the back vs all other second gen (post 99) L-2500's and L-2000's that have the 3+2 headstock and string thru body. I typically see the counter sunk holes with no steel plate on the second gen design like mine. Wonder if mine was a pre-prod model or something? :confused:

10. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer

I prefer the wider P like neck thats standard, I have a jazz bass already and find the string spacing a little close at times.
    The G&L neck seems to have a little less round to it, so its easier to rest your thumb across the back.
    Where my jazz neck is pretty round and I tend to get lazy and clutch it too much.

11. Quadzilla

Played the bass last night at practice. HUGE tone. Silky Smoove! Everything I hoped for. It really needs a new set of strings too (ones on it are kinda dead). The low B is huge and MUCH better than my Yamaha BB).

I really didn't have the time to mess with all of the settings because the guys just wanted to do songs back to back, so I'll do some more playing with and tweaking the knobs tonight, etc, at home. I didn't get a manual with it so I'm not positive what the switches are for. I believe one may be a pre-amp, one a pup selector and one series/parallel, but not sure which is which and what each switch postition does what. I do at least have the knobs figured out (closest to bridge = low, middle knob = treble and finally closest to neck = volume). Any help here would be apprietiated!

12. Really really really nice bass. One of my all time favs actually. It's making me reconsider ordering an L-2000....and reconsider getting cherryburst. Damn you.

13. Quadzilla

14. Switches as I know them on my L-2000:

Bridge:
    Bridge - passive
    Middle - Active
    Neck - active w/ high-boost

Middle:
    Bridge - Series
    Neck - Parallel

Neck:
    Bridge - Bridge p/u
    Middle - both
    Neck - neck p/u

I may have the middle switch backwards... I always forget. Hope that helps!

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The things that some special olympians consider to be excellent/great/fabulous/mint condition continue to amaze me. That stuff is all minor, sure, but at least they could have said "in good condition with slight buckle rash".

:scowl:

All complaints about my fellow man's lack of honor aside, that sounds like a sweet deal.

16. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Quad, that bass looks great. You gotta tell me when you're somewhere around here where people can hear you.

17. Quadzilla

Thanks Kjones and Jhiggy. Kjones, we literally just got a new singer/rhythm guitarist this week. It will prob take several weeks to get in the groove with him before we start playing out, but I'll keep ya posted!

Between my new bass and my new 1200 watt head and cabs, I'm in heaven right now! :hyper: :bassist: :D

18. Great bas! Good to hear you like it soo much... my L-2000 is the best bass I've ever played (own a Warwick and owned a Stingray 5).