1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got my lacewood Tobias Killer B 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It's a bolt-on, Gibson era. Not a bad bass overall but I'm a bit underwhelmed at this point. For $1599, I expected more. It's got kind of a muddy, unfocused sound. Particularly the low B string. The low B on my thumb 5 sounds more defined and those are not known for definition. I'm going to throw some new strings on it before I decide whether to return it or not.

It's also very uncomfortably neck heavy. When standing, I have to support it with the left hand.

I also have an Ash body Tobias Killer B 6 coming today. I'll compare the two and write back tomorrow...

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I actually had the same bass for a while quite a while ago. Here's the deal. I thought it sounded fantastic when I got it (it was a relatively early production model). However, a couple of years after I got it, one of the pickups crapped out. Gibson sent replacement pickups, but over that time period, I later learned they switched from single coil (or some sort of split coil anyway) to a true humbucker pickup. I sold that bass the week after the new pickups were installed. It was a totally different sound... flat and lifeless vs. the very aggressive grind. I purchased a USA MTD and never looked back.

So... if you have a newer model with the humbuckers (I have no idea how to find out), then you might not be totally happy IMO.

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Interesting...I do notice quite a bit of hum but it may be coming from the preamp. When I turn the treble pot beyond the halfway point it introduces quite a bit of hum. (kind of a drag).

It also has a 3 position toggle switch. I'm not sure what it does. I thought maybe one position would be passive but the t/m/b seem to work in all 3 positions. I'm now thinking it may be a series/parallel/split switch. When it's all the way down, I get a ton of bass which is probably humbucker mode and when it's all the way up the bass is cut considerably which is probably single coil. I'm guessing the middle position is both coils in each pickup running parallel...