Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Lakland 4-94 today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It all started when I went to Make N Music in Chicago, and figured I'd try out a Lakland 4-94 to see what the hype was about. After an hour or so in their posh tryout room, I fell in love with the thing and finally understood what people were raving about. I knew I had to have one, but the price they quoted me was out of my ballpark and the search for a used one began.

Didn't find one that I wanted until the same bass I tried out in Chicago popped up on E-bay at a price I could afford. Because this bass was destined to be mine, no-one else bid on it. ;)

I got my Lakland 4-94 delivered to work today, and I took it home with me during my lunch hour. OMG, it was just as good as I remembered it. I threw on new strings, and wanked away on the thing. The craftmanship was impeccable. The neck has to be the best neck ever in terms of feel, playability and looks. The finish was incredible, as well as the maple top. Aside from the looks the thing plays like buttah. Smooth, low action, and a fingerboard radius that was perfect for me. More flat than curved, but not as flat as my Warwicks. The thickness was sort of like a jazz, but fit my hands perfectly. Did I say this was the best neck I ever played on?

The sound is versatile, clean, and just plain out awesome. The only thing I didn't care for was that the bass control when cranked could sound a little boomy. Aside from that, the pickups and preamp let me dial in a bunch of sounds. Plus the bass reacted very well to different plucking positions. Near the neck, there was tons of thump and as I went to the bridge the growl really opened up. It's a decent slap bass, but for fingerstyle playing this thing is pure pleasure to the hands and ears. I slapped on it for a while, and I found that the string spacing was perfect for me. The bass was plenty punchy, without sounding harsh. Harmonics and tapping were a delight, but I have to say that I prefer a Warwick Fortress for that realm. But, the Lakland can do just about everything pretty well. Not the best at some things, but definitely workable if not downright awesome at it.

After returning to work late, I have a huge smile from ear to ear. I can't wait to try it out at a gig this Saturday.

Thanks to everyone who shared their insight with me. And as Munji said, I won't regret it. I'm not regretting it, I'm downright lovin it!

I'll post pics later

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Dan's Chicago instruments are player's delights! I recall a picture you posted of this beauty. Hang on to it & enjoy :bassist:

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    :hyper: WOoo! Mucho congrats-o, Jivey!

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ...Yeah, I figured this would be your reaction. :)

Even tho I only have the Skyline version, I still can't get enough of mine, either. So many new sounds to discover, and all of them great and very fun. I agree about the bass control, but I rarely use much of that anyway. Just a touch when I'm not using the neck pickup in the blend.

On a related note, I'm also experimenting with setting the mid all the way down to 250 and using it in combination with the bass control to sorta' raise the centerpoint of adding bass sometimes. The jury's still out, but right now I'm kinda' likin' it.

IMHO, the three pickup blend is awesome, and the sound I'm currently having the most fun with is the MM pickup solo'd, in blended mode on the switch, with just a touch of bass added. SUUUHWHEEEET!!! :)

It's got the stock Lakland steels on it right now, but I'm gonna' try some good nickels to see what those sound like, and then probably fall back on my usual DR sets (HiBeams and LoRiders) after that. I'd like to hear what your string choices are, too... especially on your Lakland.

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Congrats!

I had a 4-94 Deluxe and like a fool I got rid of it.
    I sure miss it....I wonder who owns it now?

Rob

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hey Jive1,

Any pics yet??????

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I bought a new 55-01 last week, yep experimenting with the new sounds too. I was just wondering how much difference there is in the Korean preamp compared to the US preamp in the skylines and laklands? Would it be possible to order the US pre and drop it right in to my 55-01 if I wanted to do that? The 55-01 has the 2 MK-1 soapbar pups.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    If the pickups were the same, I'm sure it'd be no problem, but without that, I'm not sure what you could/would do. AFAIK, there's no US model with the same pickup arrangement as the 55-01, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, there's nothing stopping you from putting in an Aggie, Bart, Seymour Duncan, EMG, whatever preamp if you just figure out the pickup wires.

9. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Warms my heart to hear all these Lakland praises. Iv been debating my 4th bass... I jumped on the bongo-wagon... Considered G&L... Spent time with Fender Jazz.. After all this Iv settled on a 55-02 and im not looking back. Really looking foward to being part of the Lakland family.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Hey Vics, guess I was just thinking a US pre would be an exact drop in. This is my first foray into Lakland Land. From what you tell me here what I really would want would be a preamp upgrade maybe of the type you show above. I'll consider these when I am ready, still just getting used to this new bass, so no rush yet. Later.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, I'm sure it could be adapted, but it definitely would not be a direct "drop in" because of the MM pickup and coil tap switch. The standard Lakland preamp is actually essentially a THREE pickup deal.

So, in the end, sure, you could probably adapt it, but it wouldn't make it sound like a US xx-94 anyway (due to the different pickups), so IMHO, at that point, the Lakland US preamp simply becomes one of ANY on-board preamp to switch to... since you'll have some wiring to do regardless of what you choose.

All this said, however, based on what I've heard about these, I'd bet you won't be compelled to switch it out anyway, so this is allprobably moot. :)