Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my LEDS fitted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by =^..^=, Aug 18, 2004.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thought I'd post this as a few people were wondering about getting LEDS retrofitted to a neck but I couldn't find a thread where someone actually had.

Just got my bass neck back from SIMS leds after they retrofitted side and face LED markers.

Superb job - the fingeboard is ebony so I specified black dots to blend in with the board so they would be invisible from a couple of feet away. The dots are obviously finished flush to the board and you can't tell they are there to touch. And they are invisible right up to the point you switch them on.

Wow, they are bright - bright enough to read by !

I specified that the side lights and the front face lights could be individually switched which cost me a little more but its pretty nice. the side lights are no where near as bright but give a good indication of where the frets are. The front face lights are big but the side lights are tiny little pin points of light.

Its my Warmoth Gecko neck they were fitted to so I was quite concerned that they didn't cut the lizard inlay. SIMS were very good and planned the front face installation around the lizard - moving the entire row of LEDs down towards the bottom of the neck with the Double dot being slightly offset.

Unfortunately I had requested an extra pair of leds for 'eyes' for the lizard but these were missed off, so the neck is going back in a year or so to have its eyes put in.

I got them fitted as the amount of theatre work I'm doing is increasing - and the side lights will be very handy when I'm in the pit.

Overall 9/10, the neck was boxed very well when it was shipped back to me and as you can tell I'm very pleased with the service.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    About how much did the LED installation cost? Also, how long were you without your bass? What country is SIMS in?

Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    and dont forget the ubiquitous request....

Pics???

4. yes. i would like pics too!

make sure the lights are dim/off!

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    D'oH!

I knew I forgot to ask somethin! :)

6. On which bass?

7. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    SIMS are in the UK. (http://www.simscustom.com/)

Turn around time from the neck leaving me to being back in my hands was 14 days. SIMS took less time than they advertise to fit them, the delay was in the postal service.

Price was £414, It cost £120 more than normal as I had the two sets of LEDS (face and side) put on different circuits so I can switch them independently.

I'll sort some photos tonight, I only got the neck back yesterday so I spent my time fitting it rather than taking pikkies :) The only sticking point now is that I run 18v actives rather than 9v so I have to calculate the value of the resistor I need to drop 9v across. Not a problem in itself but I haven't had a chance to meter the current yet.

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i wish i could afford that :(

you have the coolest user name on TB by the way :p

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
  10. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    :D The cats who own me think so too...
    Red side and face. I was after white for the side but Martin (at SIMS) said red would work very well. And he was right.

11. That's really nice!
    Good choice! Blue could have been good too!

Congrats
    Vince

12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I can tell from your currency denomination that you aren't in the US, and your profile doesn't say so where are you? That 14 day time frame doesn't seem realistic to us US folks. Nor the price, although I could go to a currency converter.....

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nice... I can't wait to see them!..

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    He's in the UK -- using pounds for currency.

15. Hi
    I've spoke to Martin Simms a few times, he's a real nice, helpful guy, the LED work he does is stunning, he's doing some real nice cut outs as well, I saw a Warwick Thumb with Dolphins cut into the position markers and illuminated from behind, if my memory serves me right there were three of them after the 12th fret, cooool! I've not looked at his website for a while so that kind of thing may be shown on there.

Whilst I'm here, here's a pic of the LED's in my bass!

[​IMG]

16. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last shot is just the side markers - there are four lights near you due to the two LEDS at the 24th fret reflecting on the body.

As you say I'm in the UK so you need to do a dollar convert and increase the postage cost and the shipping time. On the website sims do say they have a US agent. May be worth contacting them ?

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Nice work. The Gecko is following a trail of embers... or crapping radioactive pellets

18. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Make sure you use a seperate resistor for each circuit. Personnaly I would just use a 7809 ic.