Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my MAG300H - Let's compare notes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vintageampeg, Jul 18, 2005.

1. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Got my new MAG300H head on Saturday. MAG owners - thoughts?

1.) Fan is pretty loud. I haven't had a head w/ a fan before- is the MAG louder than others?
    2.) Sub harmonizer seems pretty useless, but I haven't tried it out in a full power situation yet. Ya really got to crank the bass frequency for it to be audible...
    3.) The head is set so far back in its case, that when it sits on my 410T cab, I pretty much gotta get on my knees to see the controls and adjust them - shoulda got the rackmount version I guess.
    4.) Good power and nice sound - but it doesn't blow away my old acoustic 470 solid state head. Thought 30 years of technology would be an unfair advantage. Nope. Go acoustic control corp!
    5.) My passive jazz bass barely makes the needle move on that cool VU meter. If I crank up the input control I get lots of break-up.

all said, a good amp for the $$$. Debating whether or not I need the MAG 210T to round out this rig. Thinking so, to get the full watt potential.

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I've had my MAG300H for about 6 weeks, but haven't had a chance to use it through anything with any beef. Used it twice at rehearsal through an old Peavey 1x15 guitar cab, but I think the speaker is pretty fried in that old thing.

I wrote all that as setup to the fact that my new Avatar 212 Neo is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Once I get a chance to hook 'em up and take 'em for a test drive, I'll post again and let you know what I think.

By the way, I found the sub-harmonic feature to be totally non-existent, but I attributed that to the cab. As to control accessibility, I'm planning on boosting the whole rig up on an Anvil case so the head is basically at eye height.

3. My Geddy Lee barely makes the VU needle move. If I run it through a Seymour Duncan pickup booster (set at about 16 db of boost) I can run the preamp about 12 o'clock and the VU meter works as advertised.

I guess it's set for fairly hot pickups, even on the high-gain input.

But...I really like it, either with or without the SD pickup booster.

- Rob

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

1)Yeah, the fan is loud, but I only hear it when I'm not playing and I'm standing next to it.
    2)I never use the subharmonics, it is very useless to me. I could only hear it when I pluck hard.
    3) It is a problem for me too, they should of had a little cut-away of the wood on the top part like lots of other amps. But this won't be a problem once I get my 210 cab.
    4)Very powerful for what I need. I destroy things on the other side of my house. After I play, every painting in my house is off-center and my parents get angry. It's a good less hi-fi more tube-like sound given the fact that its a SS amp. But my sansamp BDDI makes it even better.
    5) It's good that the VU meter isn't moving too much. The amp isn't coming close to clipping which means you have alot more headroom on the input. The amp can get louder.

5. TheSlipStick

TheSlipStick

Jul 15, 2005
    I had the MAG300H for about a year and loved it. I had to part ways because i couldnt compete with the other two guitarists in my band who sported a Triple Rectifier and a 5150. I play with a passive Jazz as well, you have to play around with the input/output master levels so you can get the most out of the power without it breaking up the sound too much. The sub-harmonic generator was useless. The UV meter seemed very sensative--i never payed any attention to it. Other than that, it was the most reliable head I have ever owned. Good luck.

6. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    For those who may not know what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

Large image:
    Click Here

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use my MAG with a mix of SWR workingman's 1x15, Mesa Boogie Diesel 1x15, and Avatar 2x10. I use an Ibanez SR885, ART levelar compressor, and a Sansamp.

1) Fan isnt too bad, at least on mine.
    2) Sub-harmonics work, but the effect is very subtle. You dont need a lot (a better bass boost is the bass boost button) and I think the purpose of it is to add just a little more warmth.
    3) -
    4) I have gigged with this and dont see any problems for doing mid sized venues with the right EQing.
    5) Needle on mine jumps like crazy if I have the Gain set more than 10:00, with the Output about 12:00. My bass is active and I max out all the EQs on the bass so that might be part of it. With low gain in my situation clipping doesnt seem to be a problem.

Overall, I've been able to get a pretty warm, almost barky, organic sound out of it. I dont use very extreme EQ (bass button, bright button sometimes, BASS 2:00, Low mids 2:00, MIDS 10:30, High Mids 3:00, Treble 1:00, sub harmonic at 9:30, once in a while). If i want to cut through I use the Sansamp with a lot of edge set on it. This sound is a little harsh by itself, but is killer in a band setting.

Note: the "low input" is for active passes, the "high" is for passive.

8. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Well, so far, so good. However, I haven't used my rig in a rehearsal situation yet - only at home. I had it up about half way and realized I needed to stop for fear of breaking things. The tone was rich and warm, but I don't mess with my tone much once it's dialed in. If it will give me warm, punchy, and loud, I'll be a happy camper.

I'll report in later once I have a chance to really use the thing - next week sometime.

9. rdcalab

rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    I've had mine for about two months now. Practiced w/ it, gigged w/ it. I'd say many of the same things in the previous posts. My only complaint is that I haven't really been able to get the sound I want out of it. (eq speaking) I have no problem getting great tone w/ my mesa walkabout, but thats not really a fair comparison. Overall, great head, loud, and cheap $$.

10. BadTaste

BadTaste

Jul 14, 2005
    Just got an shdown MAG 300H head and MAG 410T Cab yesterday and have already tried them out in practice with a LOUD band.

1.) Is it? i have to shove my ears right behind the head before i can hear it...you might have a bad fan or i could be going deaf
    2.) It doesnt do a lot, when played loud it does add extra "sub-harmonies" to certain notes, whether they're desirable or not is another question.
    3.) Yeah this could be classed as a con but also as a pro as the knobs are less likely to get damaged?
    4.) agreed...plenty of power and nice tone, although the amp doesn't seem too comfortable with the low notes (low string in dropped C#). Maybe an extra 1x15 will sort that one out.
    5.) I play an active schecter bass and with the input volume at 12 'o' clock the meter just about lands in the red without any significant break up.

One small detail i like...it has a tuner out which is great for me, no more unplugging my lead to tune up with my korg handheld! should get a rackmount or pedal tuner soon though anyway.

Overall excellent quality amp for the money and cool as f**k

11. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Having had the opportunity to rehearse in a full power situation the past two nights, I noticed a couple things

1.) the VU needle really did move quite a bit in an actual performance situation - I was wrong about that.

2.) the Subharmonizor really does work. I forgot I left it on and by the end of the song the entire band is trying to figure out what that "extra" tone was - sounded like we had a pad going. Turned out I left the sub-harmonizer on, dialed in about half way up. I was instructed by my bandmates to use that feature often! So I was wrong about that too.

3.) amp had plenty of headroom w/ the 410T in a loud situation. Deeeeep, clean, warm tones. I had my input at 12 o'clock and my output at 9 o'clock. EQ was bass up, with mids up halfway. Bass & treble boosters off.

Overall: GREAT SETUP. Ordered the 115 Deep cab and I can't wait!

12. I have to bring this thread back up with a simple question.

How are the knobs? or they loose? or do they give you some resistance?

Any problems with the burning smell or smoke? When I crank my Bassman 150 I can smell it burning.

I'm looking at an Avatar B212 / Mag 300h combo.

13. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    hey that looks like the behringer :bag:

They are nice heads, I have had them. No J bass or most passives make the VU move, the SD 1/4 pounders do however. All actives I have do. the SH is crap, i wonder if it will screw speakers up