Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Mesa Diesels........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incubus2432, May 2, 2002.

1. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I received my NOS 2x10 and used 1x15 (great shape) earlier this week and was thrilled with the tone/volume at home. They look great stacked with my rack setup perched on top....nice height too.
    I took them to practice last night and was quite pleased. The lows are well defined and they have enough punch (I hate those terms) to come through the mix nicely. I don't think they sound as good as the Acmes did but they sound "close enough" and have plenty of volume. Overall I think they sound better than the Mesa Powerhouse 1000 and the Ampeg PR-1832HE that I previously "demoed" (this may just be me talking myself into believing this since I am sick of looking for cabinets BUT........) .They are also easy enough to carry up and down the stairs and they even fit under the tonneau cover of my Dakota.....I pretty much got all that I wanted :eek:
    My only remaining question is whether or not to get a crossover to split the lows and highs.....I'm not sure it is necessary but it may be worth seeing if it "sharpens" the overall tone a little.
    I just thought I'd post my glee........ :D

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats. I have the 4x10 and 1x15. The 15's pretty easy to move, especially with the casters. The 10's get pretty snarfin heavy.

BTW: what's the difference in the RR and Diesel cabs (physical appearance)? I've never seen a RR cab, so I'm curious.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I don't know about the newer Road Ready cabinets but the the versions from the Diesel era had the same black metal grills with the larger square openings but the cabinet itself was like an Anvil style roadcase with metal edging and black (vinyl, I think) coated panels. There were latching panel doors to cover the speaker area during transport. I would have liked to get the RR but that would have kinda defeated my portability requirement :mad:.
    From what I hear most people say the RR's sound better....maybe due to the heavier cabinet design (stiffer?). I believe the electronics and drivers are the same (I know Mesa used EV, Eden and PAS speakers but I don't believe it mattered between RR and Diesel....just whatever supplier they were using at the time).

4. AndersK2

AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    Congrats again!
    I only have a 1x15 Diesel and it sounds good for me.
    I have thought of getting a second cab, so I wonder, does the 2x10 and 1x15 differ much in sound?

5. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    To tell the truth I only listened to them individually to make sure they were in working order then I hooked them up together since that is why I bought the pair. My only opinion would be that neither one of them sound as good as they do as a team.....just a very full, well rounded tone.

6. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    If anyone knows of a good RR 15 for sale, I'm in the market. I'd take a Diesel for the right price, though. I have a Diesel 210 that I love and need something with which to pair it.

7. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio